Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MK Dons vs. Oldham Athletic

7 February 2017

Match Reports

MK Dons vs. Oldham Athletic

7 February 2017

Late Heartbreak For Latics

Oldham Athletic were beaten in the sixth minute of additional time as they fell to defeat against MK Dons.

The fourth official lifted the board on 90 minutes to signal four minutes of additional time, and in the sixth minute, Nicky Marnard volleyed a late winner to seal three points for the Dons.

Manager John Sheridan made two changes to his side from the weekend win against Chesterfield.

Tope Obadeyi came in for his debut, whilst Paul Green started the game in a five-man midfield.

Three minutes into the game, full back George Baldock picked up the first booking of the game for a late challenge on Ousmane Fane.

Baldock had to be careful minutes later as he tackled Rob Hunt late but the referee ticked him off and did not produce a second booking.

Latics had the first chance of the half on six minutes. Green crossed into the box and found the head of Obadeyi but it fell wide of David Martin’s goal.

Sheridan’s men were taking the game to their hosts as Hunt crossed into the centre for Aaron Amadi-Holloway but Martin managed to make the save.

Dean Bowditch found himself behind the Oldham Athletic defence on 15 minutes but a superb recovery from captain Peter Clarke saw him knock the ball behind for a corner.

Whilst Latics cleared that set piece, the hosts started to put the pressure on the defence. 

Bowditch received the ball on the right hand side, crossed into the box for an onrushing Kieran Agard but the striker missed his kick in front of goal. 

The striker had a chance to redeem himself minutes later but he took too long in front of goal as Ryan McLaughlin this time blocked his effort.

MK Dons were enjoying the most of the possession but they were struggling to make in-roads through a stubborn Oldham Athletic defence.

Both sides had chances to score before the half time break. 

Firstly Bowditch struck wide on 40 minutes before Chris Taylor’s cross found the head of Holloway but the striker’s header just went inches past the far post.

Athletic started the second half well as McLaughlin almost threaded a through ball to Obadeyi but it was just cut out.

Sheridan’s men were frustrating their opponents and that forced MK Dons into a double change early into the second half. 

But it was Latics who continued to stand resolute and look threatening on the break. 

Holloway held the ball up on the hour mark, fed O’Neill 25 yards from goal but the Burnley midfielder just could not keep his effort down.

Clarke went into the book just after the hour mark for a foul on Agard whilst Robbie Neilson made his final change and brought on striker Maynard.

However, it was Latics’ own substitute Darius Osei who almost forced the opening goal of the game on 65 minutes. 

The striker won the ball in the middle of the park, raced at the defence but dragged his shot, from 12 yards, wide.

Athletic were restricting their opponents to limited chances with Connor Ripley rarely tested. 

Athletic had half a shout for a penalty on 80 minutes as Osei went down but the referee was unmoved, whilst the striker could not reach a Ryan Flynn cross into the box five minutes from time.

The fourth official indicated four additional minutes to be played at the end of the 90 minutes.

Lee Croft replaced Paul Green in the 93rd minute of the game, and deep into the 95th minute, Latics managed to clear a corner into the box.

Still the final whistle did not come. However, in the 96th minute, the ball laid up perfectly for Maynard to strike on the volley from the edge of the box and he found the bottom corner meaning Athletic came away from Stadium MK pointless.

MK Dons: Martin, Baldock, Walsh, Ngombo (Barnes 53’), Potter, Bowditch (Maynard 63’), O’Keefe, Williams, Agard, Muirhead (Aneke 53’), Downing.

Subs not used: Nicholls, Upson, Brittain, Tilney.

Oldham Athletic: Ripley, McLaughlin, Wilson, Clarke, Hunt, Fane, O’Neill, Green (Croft 90+3’), Taylor (Flynn 83’), Obadeyi (Osei 60’), Holloway.

Subs not used: Law, Reckord, Banks, Ngoo.

Goals: MK Dons (Maynard 90+6’) 1-0 Oldham Athletic

Attendance: 7,598 (209 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account