Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Latics Exit FA Cup Following Defeat Against Carlisle United

4 November 2017

Oldham Athletic exited the FA Cup at the first round stage as they fell to a 3-2 defeat against Carlisle United.

Latics gave themselves a lot to do as they fell three goals behind on the hour mark as Richie Bennett netted two and Hallum Hope grabbed the other.

However, Athletic showed spirit to pull two goals back through Peter Clarke and substitute Aaron Amadi-Holloway but that was not enough and Latics fell to defeat.

Manager Richie Wellens was boosted with the return of goalkeeper Johny Placide, however, Jack Byrne was not given permission to play so missed the game.

Latics stared the game brightly and created a number of chances in the opening 20 minutes of the game.

On five minutes, Dummigan, who impressed on the right during the half, crossed into the box, it was palmed into the path of Queensy Menig but he volleyed wide from 12 yards.

Athletic took the game to their hosts and were almost ahead on 13 minutes through Dan Gardner.

He created space for himself 25 yards from goal and curled towards the top corner but his effort crashed against the crossbar.

Latics knocked the ball around confidently and got a lot of joy down the right hand side.

This time, Dummigan and Paul Green combined as he crossed to Craig Davies in the centre but his effort was well saved by Carlisle United goalkeeper Jack Bonham.

Against the run of play, Carlisle United took the lead through Bennett.

Danny Grainger’s corner was towards the back post, Clint Hill nodded the ball back into a dangerous area and Bennett was at the back post to head home to give the home side the lead.

Placide saved a header from Grainger on the hour hour mark before Latics went close on two occasions.

Eoin Doyle did excellently to win the ball inside the penalty area and he picked out Green on the edge of the box but his shot was deflected over the crossbar.

From the resulting corner, Green’s ball in found the head of captain Peter Clarke and he came within a whisker of levelling the scores for Latics but his effort went inches past the post.

Latics would rue those missed chances as the home side extended their lead on 36 minutes.

The ball fell to Hope 18 yards from goal and he found the top corner to put the home side in control.

Latics continued to look a threat in attack, despite the two goal disadvantage, and almost pulled a goal back before the half time break.

Green picked out Menig in the penalty area, he took a touch and shot but Gary Liddle managed to get a block in and deny the winger.

Athletic started the second half well and were patient in their build up play.

They kept the ball and passed it around well but struggled to create a clear cut opening.

They were restricted to shots from outside the box and Gardner fired inches wide on 53 minutes from 25 yards.

Gardner turned provider minutes later as he picked out the run of Davies but the striker’s shot was blocked.

Carlisle looked to have put the game beyond doubt on the hour mark as Bennett notched his second of the game and Carlisle’s third.

He met a cross into the box from Reggie Lambe to seemingly put the game beyond doubt.

However, Athletic reacted well and put up a spirited fight.

They pulled a goal back on 64 minutes through the head of Clarke. He powered a header past the goalkeeper following a cross from the impressive Dummigan.

Latics continued to attack as substitute Ryan Flynn dragged a shot inches wide on 69 minutes before they pulled another goal back on 71 minutes.

A corner into the box found Holloway who fired at goal, his first shot was saved but he followed up the rebound to pull another one back.

Latics had to be wary of the counter attack as Grainger saw his effort tipped over the bar by Placide but Athletic continued to fight until the final minute to get the equaliser.

Their best chance during that spell was on 85 minutes as Clarke found space inside the penalty area but elected to try and take the goalkeeper on instead of striking and the goalkeeper came out on top and saved.

Latics continued to fight to get an equaliser from the game but were met by a stubborn Carlisle defence.

They threw a number of ball into the box but the ball just would not break for Wellens’ side as they exited the FA Cup at the first round stage.

Carlisle United: Bonham, Grainger, Joyce, Liddle, Parkes, Jones, Hope (Etuhu 70’), Bennett (Miller 86’), Brown, Lambe (Devitt 78’), Hill.

Subs not used: George, Miller, Adams, O’Sullivan.

Oldham Athletic: Placide, Dummigan, Clarke, Bryan, Hunt (Nepomuceno 70’), Green (Flynn 66’), Fane, Gardner, Menig (Holloway 62’), Doyle, Davies.

Subs not used: Ruddy, Wilson, Gerrard, Omrani.

Goals: Carlisle United (Bennett 22’ 60’, Hope 36’) 3-2 Oldham Athletic (Clarke 64’, Holloway 71’)

Attendance: 3,900 (798 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account