Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Wellens Makes It Three Wins From Three

3 October 2017

Club News

MATCH REPORT: Wellens Makes It Three Wins From Three

3 October 2017

Richie Wellens made it three wins out of three as Jack Byrne’s 25-yard strike ensured a 0-1 win over Crewe Alexandra in the Checkatrade Trophy.

Byrne fired just before half time to win the game and put Latics on to four points in Group D.

Interim manager Richie Wellens made two changes to the side which beat Portsmouth on Saturday.

Abdelhakim Omrani and Queensy Menig came in for their first competitive starts for Latics and it was the latter who had the first chance for Latics.

He was allowed a lot of space on the edge of the box but he could not direct his shot on target from 25 yards.

Latics knocked the ball around with a lot of purpose and energy and were almost rewarded with the opening goal on 14 minutes.

Omrani delivered a teasing ball across the box but it was just slightly ahead of the onrushing Doyle.

The striker almost gave Athletic the lead on 18 minutes as he met a Byrne cross into the box but the goalkeeper David Richards made a great save.

Minutes later, the pair combined for a second time as Doyle raced through on goal but his shot towards the bottom corner was tipped wide of the post.

The home side struggled to get hold of the ball and create chances as Latics controlled the first half.

Chris Porter was booked for the home side for persistent fouling, whilst minutes later, Byrne found himself in the book for protesting a decision.

Menig went close to the first goal as he danced around his defender and forced a save from Richards.

However, on 42 minutes, Athletic did take the lead through Byrne.

Menig played the ball across the box to Doyle and he laid it into the path of Byrne who struck from 25 yards into the back of the net to put Latics ahead.

Athletic almost extended their lead five minutes of the second half as Menig checked inside from 25 yards and shot but it went wide of Richards’ goal.

At the other end, the Railwaymen started to cause Athletic a few problems at the back as Johny Placide was forced to make a late clearance to deny the home side going through on goal.

A scramble in the goalmouth followed two minutes later as Latics struggled to clear their lines and their play became slightly sloppy.

On the hour mark, Crewe midfielder George Cooper curled towards the top corner but the goalkeeper made the save.

The same player tried a similar effort two minutes later but this time it was deflected for a corner which Placide claimed under a lot of pressure.

The goalkeeper was tested again on 73 minutes but he stood up well to deny substitute Callum Ainley from close range.

Latics were forced into last ditch defending on 78 minutes as Rob Hunt headed the ball off the line after Michael Raynes’ header at the back post.

It continued to be a nervy ending with Zoumana Bakayogo volleying over on 83 minutes and in the final minute of the game, Placide had to make a double save to ensure Latics picked up the three points.

Crewe Alexandra: Richard, Ng, Bakayogo, Walker (Dale 82’), Raynes, Porter (Dagnell 77’), Bowery, Cooper, Lowery, Kirk (Ainley 61’), Stubbs.

Subs not used: Garratt, Nolan, Pickering, Reilly.

Oldham Athletic: Placide, Wilson, Gerrard, Bryan, Hunt, Gardner, Omrani (Banks 82’), Fane, Byrne, Menig (Obadeyi 70’), Doyle.

Subs not used: Wilson, Clarke, Hamer, Fawns, Nepomuceno.

Goals: Crewe Alexandra 0-1 Oldham Athletic (Byrne 42’) Attendance: 976 (177 visiting supporters)

Attendance: 976 (177 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account