Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Late Strike Seals Deserved Three Points Against Blackburn

14 October 2017

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Late Strike Seals Deserved Three Points Against Blackburn

14 October 2017

Queensy Menig was the hero for Oldham Athletic as he struck his first goal for the club in the final minute of the game to seal a 1-0 win over Blackburn Rovers.

The attacker, introduced as a 67th minute substitute, curled into the bottom corner from just inside the penalty area to win the game for Latics.

The clean sheet also marked the first in the league this season as Richie Wellens secured his fourth win in as many games, the best start to a Latics managerial career for over 110 years.

Interim boss Wellens opted to stick with the same side which beat Portsmouth two weeks ago as Craig Davies recovered from a knee injury.

It was Athletic who started positively as Gevaro Nepomuceno won a corner in the opening minute. Jack Byrne’s set piece fell to Peter Clarke at the back post but he just could not get a shot away.

A minute later, Eoin Doyle, who was lively all half, struck at goal but his shot from inside the box was blocked.

However, for all the good work from Latics, they could have been behind on six minutes as Marcus Antonsson was presented with a clear strike on goal but he fluffed his lines from six yards.

On 12 minutes, Athletic almost took the lead. Rob Hunt’s inch-perfect ball over the top found Doyle who drove at the defence and fired towards the bottom corner but David Raya managed to make the save.

At the other end, Peter Whittingham almost fired into the bottom corner from the edge of the box but the ball managed to deflect wide of the goal.

Cameron Dummigan soon found himself in the book following a late challenge on Craig Conway but Blackburn wasted the following set piece.

Craig Davies and Doyle have struck up a good partnership and they combined again midway through the half as Doyle’s volley from the edge of the box tested the palms of Raya in the Blackburn goal.

Elliott Bennett struck wide from 25 yards minutes later but will wonder how he didn’t give the visitors the lead just before the half hour mark.

He rounded Johny Placide but with the goal at his mercy, he smashed into the side netting which proved to be a huge let off.

Latics had a golden opportunity to take the lead on 35 minutes as they broke three on two against the Blackburn Rovers defence.

Doyle found Davies on the edge of the box and he forced Raya into a good save and Doyle’s follow up header was also saved by the goalkeeper.

Doyle was a constant threat in attack and a minute later he turned well but fired over from 30 yards.

Just before the break, Byrne found Nepomuceno in the box but the winger elected to take a touch instead of shooting first time and the chance was lost.

It was a good first half showing from Latics and they started the second half brightly.

From the kick off, Latics worked the ball to Davies on the left and he cut inside and shot but it was well saved.

Not long after, Byrne almost curled a beauty into the top corner from 25 yards but it just went wide of the post.

Latics almost found themselves behind, however, as Peter Whittingham rifled the crossbar from the edge of the penalty area.

Byrne went ever-so close to scoring on 50 minutes as he aimed from the top corner from 25 yards but it went wide of the post.

Latics were pressing the ball excellently and the fans showed their appreciation which made the game into a fantastic atmosphere at Park.

It started to become a fiery encounter with Blackburn Rovers picking up a number of bookings for cynical fouls.

Richie Smallwood wrapped both his legs around Byrne from behind and went into the referee’s notebook whilst Athletic thought they should have been awarded a penalty minutes later.

A loose ball in the box was pounced upon by Doyle and he collided with the goalkeeper but the referee waved away the protests.

Menig was introduced on 68 minutes and made a positive impact in the final embers of the game.

Bennett and Harry Chapman went into the book to continue with the fiery theme and Latics had to ride their luck going into the final 10 minutes of the game.

Dummigan had to clear in front of his goal, whilst a minute later, Hunt headed off the line as Blackburn went close to taking the lead.

On 83 minutes, Menig showed his quality as he raced past three defenders but fired over the crossbar from 18 yards.

In the final seconds of the game, Menig sealed a superb Oldham Athletic victory as he curled into the bottom corner to send Park in raptures.

Fans were on their feet at the final whistle, chanting and cheering in a big win for the club.

Oldham Athletic: Placide, Dummigan, Clarke, Bryan, Hunt, Gardner (Omrani 87’), Fane, Byrne, Nepomuceno (Menig 67’), Davies, Doyle (Gerrard 90+3’).

Subs not used: Ruddy, Wilson, Flynn, Obadeyi.

Blackburn Rovers: Raya, Williams, Smallwood (Dack 68’), Samuel, Whittingham, Mulgrew, Ward, Caddis, Antonsson (Graham 57’), Bennett, Conway (Chapman 57’).

Subs not used: Leutwiler, Nyambe, Harper, Gladwin.

Goals: Oldham Athletic (Menig 90’) 1-0 Blackburn Rovers

Attendance: 7,784 (3,350 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account