Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Points Shared At Stadium MK

21 October 2017

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Points Shared At Stadium MK

21 October 2017

Four goals away from home was only enough to pick up a point for Oldham Athletic as they drew 4-4 with MK Dons.

All started well for Latics as Craig Davies finished off a flowing move that will be a contender for Goal of the Season to put Latics ahead.

Alex Gilbey equalised for the hosts before Eoin Doyle and an own goal from Joe Walsh put Athletic 1-3 up at the break.

Ed Upson’s free kick reduced the arrears on 56 minutes, but just after the hour mark, Peter Clarke volleyed Latics back into a two-goal advantage.

Two goals in the final 10 minutes of the game ensured MK Dons picked up a point from the game as substitute

Aidan Nesbitt scored to make it 3-4 and Upson netted his second to ensure the points were shared.

The point extends Athletic’s and Richie Wellens unbeaten run to six games.

Manager Wellens made one change to the side that drew 1-1 with Bradford City on Tuesday night.

Queensy Menig made his first league start of the season as he replaced Gevaro Nepomuceno.

It was Latics who dominiated the opening 45 minutes of the game and they were ahead after seven minutes, and what a goal it was.

A superb flowing move from the back, consisting of over 10 passes, was converted by Davies to put Athletic ahead.

It was Doyle who crossed the ball into the striker and he found the bottom corner from 10 yards.

Menig was making a positive impact on the left and he almost found Davies in the centre but he could not meet the ball.

Seconds later, Dummigan fired straight at Lee Nicholls.

However, on 17 minutes, MK Dons managed to find an equaliser as Alex Gilbey fired home.

It was Ousmane Fane who conceded possession deep in Latics’ half and Gilbey punished by firing beyond Johny Placide.

Latics were not deterred by that and went in search of a goal that would put them back ahead.

Rob Hunt fired low but Nicholls made the save, whilst Scott Wootton cleared Jack Byrne’s volley from the edge of the box.

Latics did have some defending to do midway through the half as Placide saved Ed Upson’s shot from 25 yards, whilst Hunt made a crucial block from Ousseynou Cisse.

Five minutes before the break, Athletic’s persistence paid off as Doyle’s deft touch put Wellens’ men back ahead.

Menig received the ball on the left, managed to get to the byline, crossed into the box and Doyle’s flick wrong-footed the goalkeeper as it hit the post and went over the line.

A minute of stoppage time was announced but Latics did manage to find their third of the game.

Davies fired a low cross into the centre, Doyle managed to get a touch to the ball but Walsh guided the ball over his own goal line to send Latics into the break 1-3 ahead.

The hosts started the second half strongly and managed to pull a goal back on 56 minutes through Upson.

Clarke was adjudged to have fouled his man, and was booked, but Upson stepped up from 20 yards and got the ball up and over the wall to pull a goal back.

However, just after the hour mark, Athletic managed to regain their two goal advantage through the skipper.

He met a Byrne free kick into the box and volleyed into the top corner to send the 694 Latics fans into raptures.

A flurry of booking followed as Upson, Walsh and Fane ended up in the referee’s notebook whilst Nepomuceno replaced Menig, who was excellent all afternoon.

MK Dons introduced Nesbitt on 80 minutes and on 82, he pulled a goal back for the hosts.

Chuks Aneke found the winger in space on the left and he slotted past Placide to reduce the arrears.

With time running out, and MK Dons searching for an equaliser, they managed to find it on 89 minutes.

Seager’s initial effort fired against the crossbar and Latics were unable to stop Upson netting his second from close range to ensure the game finished a draw.

MK Dons: Nicholls, Walsh, Wootton (Seager 69’), Upson, Cisse (Ariyibi 69’), Aneke, Golbourne, Agard (Nesbitt 80’), Ebanks-Landell, Brittain, Gilbey.

Subs not used: Sietsma, Williams, Lewington, Tshibola.

Oldham Athletic: Placide, Dummigan, Clarke, Bryan, Hunt, Byrne, Fane, Gardner, Menig (Nepomuceno 70’), Davies (Flynn 85’), Doyle.

Subs not used: Ruddy, Wilson, Gerrard, Omrani, Obadeyi.

Goals: MK Dons (Gilbey 17’, Upson 56’, 89’, Nesbitt 82’) 4-4 Oldham Athletic (Davies 7’, Doyle 39’, Walsh OG 45+1’, Clarke 63’)

Attendance: 9,312 (694 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account