Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: 10-Man Latics Defeated

2 September 2017

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: 10-Man Latics Defeated

2 September 2017

Oldham Athletic fell to a 3-4 home defeat at the hands of Charlton Athletic.

Charlton raced into an early two goal lead as Ricky Holmes and Tarique Fosu struck before Latics pulled a goal back from the penalty spot.

Holmes was adjudged to have handled and Craig Davies fired past Ben Amos to reduce the arrears.

Latics did draw level early in the second half as Eoin Doyle volleyed on his debut to get Athletic back in the game.

Minutes later, Ousmane Fane was booked for the second time and received his marching orders and on the hour mark, Billy Clarke put the visitors back ahead.

Joe Dodoo scored to make it 2-4 but with 10 minutes remaining Jack Byrne netted on his league debut to make it a nervy finish.

Unfortunately, Latics could not find the equaliser and fell to defeat.

Manager John Sheridan handed debuts to deadline day signings Kean Bryan and Eoin Doyle, whilst midfielder Jack Byrne made his league debut for the club.

Doyle almost had the first chance of the game on four minutes as Charlton central defender Jason Pearce slipped but the striker could not capitalise.

Charlton started to dictate the game with Holmes having a positive influence from the visitors.

They almost took the lead on 17 minutes as Karlan Ahearue-Grant beat the offside trap but Ben Wilson was out to deny him.

However, the goalkeeper could do nothing to stop Holmes’ opening goal on 18 minutes.

The winger picked up the ball and thundered into the top corner from 30 yards to give the Addicks the lead.

One soon became two as the visitors doubled their lead through Fosu.

The striker picked up the ball inside the penalty area, cut inside and fired past Wilson as Charlton extended their lead.

Sheridan made an early tactical change and replaced Ollie Banks with Ousmane Fane.

Fane’s first contribution was to go into the referee’s notebook for a late challenge.

The referee would make himself even more unpopular as captain Peter Clarke went into the book but he did hand a way back into the game as he awarded a penalty for Latics just after the half hour mark.

Holmes was adjudged to have handled in the penalty area and Davies stepped up and fired past Ben Amos to give Latics a route back into the game.

It would be all Latics in the final 10 minutes of the second half as Davies and Dan Gardner both went close but their shots were blocked.

In additional time in the first half, Davies curled towards the far post but Amos tipped wide. From the following corner, Fane almost scored his first competitive goal for Latics but Amos managed to tip his effort from six yards over the crossbar.

Latics continued to dominate in the opening exchanges in the second half and deservedly equalised on 51 minutes.

The ball broke nicely for Doyle in the penalty area and he volleyed into the bottom corner to grab a debut goal.

The momentum was with Athletic but on 54 minutes, Fane was shown a second yellow card and was sent off.

The referee adjudged Fane to have his studs up, despite winning the ball, and he was sent off.

Ross Joyce continued to make himself unpopular with the home supporters as Gerrard and Davies both went into the referee’s notebook.

The visitors did retake the lead just after the hour mark through Clarke.

Fosu laid the ball into the path of the striker and he calmly slotted past Wilson to put the visitors back ahead.

Latics continued to attack but found chances limited.

Charlton did manage to grab a fourth on 72 minutes as substitute Dodoo raced clear and slotted past Wilson to make it 2-4.

Dodoo could have made it five with 10 minutes remaining but Wilson stood up well to deny the striker.

Latics did not give in and continued to fight until the end.

They did grab a goal back on 82 minutes through Byrne. Doyle received the ball on the edge of the box, laid it inside to Byrne who curled home from 20 yards.

Latics pushed and pushed for a leveller but they were met by a stubborn Charlton Athletic defence.

Athletic created a number of set piece chances in the dying minutes of the game but the ball wouldn’t fall for Latics and they unfortunately fell to a cruel defeat.

Oldham Athletic: Wilson, Wilson, Gerrard, Clarke, Hunt, Bryan (Fawns 77’), Banks (Fane 26’), Gardner, Byrne (Osei 90+2’), Doyle, Davies.

Subs not used: Placide, Edmundson, Mantack.

Charlton Athletic: Amos, Kashi, Jackson, Bauer, Pearce, Clarke (Konsa 79’), Holmes, Fosu, Ahearue-Grant (Dodoo 50’), Forster-Caskey, Solly.

Subs not used: Phillips, Aribo, Sarr, Lapslie, Hackett.

Goals: Oldham Athletic (Davies 34’, Doyle 51’, Byrne 82’) 3-4 Charlton Athletic (Holmes 18’, Fosu 21’, Clarke 62’, Dodoo 72’)

Attendance: 3,592 (357 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account