Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Late Goals Condemn Latics To Defeat

23 September 2017

Club News

MATCH REPORT: Late Goals Condemn Latics To Defeat

23 September 2017

Craig Davies’ fifth goal in as many games was not enough for Oldham Athletic who fell to defeat at the AESSEAL New York Stadium against Rotherham United.

Davies had equalised with a sweeping finish into the top corner from a corner after Rotherham took an eighth minute lead through Michael Ihiekwe.

Four late second half goals sealed a comfortable win for the Millers with Kieffer Moore netting two. Substitutes Anthony Forde and Jerry Yates were the other scorers.

Manager John Sheridan made one change to the side which was beaten by league leaders Shrewsbury Town last weekend.

Tope Obadeyi came in to replace the suspended Eoin Doyle but it was his strike partner Davies who had the first shot of the game.

He picked the ball up on the edge of the box but his shot went wide of Marek Rodak’s goal.

Jack Ruddy was forced into action early on as he made an excellent one-handed save to deny Ben Purrington from 25 yards out.

However, from the following corner, the Millers took the lead through central defender Ihiekwe.

After Kieffer Moore had hit the crossbar with a header, the centre half was right on the line to bundle the ball into the back of the net to give the home side the lead.

The home side started to knock the ball around confidently and made it hard for Latics.

Lee Frecklington went close on 17 minutes, but on 21 minutes, Latics were level.

A low corner into the box by Jack Byrne found Davies in the box and his deft touch guided the ball beyond Rodak and the ball nestled into the top corner.

That was Davies’ fifth goal in five consecutive games and minutes later, his strike partner Obadeyi should have pick Latics ahead.

It was again Byrne who put the ball through for Obadeyi but the striker fired wide of the far post from inside the penalty area.

Davies felt he should have been awarded a penalty just before the half hour mark but the referee waved away his protests.

Sheridan was forced to make a change on 30 minutes as Ryan McLaughlin was carried off with what looked like a hamstring injury. He was replaced by Cameron Dummigan.

A minute later, both Dan Gardner and Rotherham’s Ryan Williams were booked for an off-the-ball incident.

The home side finished the half the better of the two, as Richard Wood volleyed over and Jon Taylor almost caught Ruddy off guard but the goalkeeper saved well.

Defender George Edmundson was booked on 45 minutes for a late challenge on Williams, and from the resulting free kick, Taylor struck over the crossbar from the edge of the box.

Latics were forced into a lot of defending in the opening second half exchanges.

Ruddy was forced to make a save on his goal line from Rotherham striker Moore and from the resulting corner, they did have the ball in the back of the net but the linesman flagged for offside.

Frecklington dragged an effort wide for Rotherham from just inside the penalty area before both sides made changes on the hour mark.

Queensy Menig and Abdelhakim Omrani replaced Gardner and Obadeyi whilst the home side brought on Joe Newell.

He almost made an immediate impact for the home side but he dragged his shot wide inside the penalty area.

On 70 minutes, Edmundson’s long throw found Davies in the centre but he volleyed over the crossbar.

Latics were taking the game to the home side, but Rotherham did manage to get themselves back in the lead with only 15 minutes of the game remaining.

Williams set off on a mazy run, fired at goal which Ruddy saved but Moore followed in the rebound to give the home side the lead for the second time.

Four minutes later and it was 3-1 to the hosts as Moore rose highest from a corner into the box and powered a header past Ruddy.

Latics did not give up and Byrne forced a smart save from goalkeeper Rodak and Peter Clarke fired into the side netting.

However, two goals in two minutes sealed a win for the home side.

A strong run into the box by Newell saw him lay the ball back to Forde who stroked the ball into the back of the net from inside the penalty area.

Only a minute later, it was five for the Millers as substitute Yates fired in from close range on a tough afternoon for Latics.

Rotherham United: Rodak, Vaulks, Wood, Frecklington, Taylor (Newell 62’), Potter, Towell (Forde 81’), Purrington, Ihiekwe, Williams, Moore (Yates 84’).

Subs not used: O’Donnell, Ajayi, Clarke-Harris, Cummings.

Oldham Athletic: Ruddy, Edmundson, Gerrard, Clarke, McLaughlin (Dummigan 32’), Nepomuceno, Gardner (Omrani 62’), Bryan, Byrne, Obadeyi (Menig 62’), Davies.

Subs not used: Placide, Hunt, Fane, Banks.

Goals: Rotherham United (Ihiekwe 8’, Moore 74’, 78’, Forde 88’, Yates 89’) 5-1 Oldham Athletic (Davies 21’)

Attendance: 8,250 (825 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account