Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Latics Pick Up Point On The Road

7 April 2018

Club News

MATCH REPORT: Latics Pick Up Point On The Road

7 April 2018

It ended goalless at the Kassam Stadium as Oldham Athletic and Oxford United played out a stalemate.

It was a clean sheet well earned following the early departure of Kean Bryan through injury, who was replaced by youngster Tom Hamer.

Latics felt they should have been awarded two penalties in the game. The first in the opening 45 minutes as Wilfried Moimbe was pushed in the box but the referee was unmoved.

A stronger appeal followed in the second half as Rob Hunt was dragged to the floor but again the referee said no.

Latics huffed and puffed for a winner with Tope Obadeyi and Duckens Nazon going close but neither side could make the breakthrough.

Manager Richie Wellens made two changes to the side which beat Blackpool on Easter Monday as Jack Byrne returned to the starting 11.

Latics lined up in a 4-2-3-1 formation with Eoin Doyle at the heart of the attack and they almost fell behind in the opening five minutes of the game.

A mistake from Bryan allowed James Henry a chance to capitalise, he crossed to Jonathan Obika but the defender recovered to put the striker off as the ball rolled wide.

After that, it was a quiet opening to the game, however, on 17 minutes, Latics were forced into an early change as Bryan went off injured and was replaced by second year youth scholar Hamer.

It was an assured opening from the youngster who won headers and dispossessed opposition players.

Latics felt they should have been awarded a penalty just before the half hour mark as Moimbe appeared to be pushed to the floor but nothing was given.

Wellens’ men grew into the half and finished strongly, forcing a number of chances.

Byrne saw an effort fly over the crossbar from 25 yards on 37 minutes, whilst minutes later, Obadeyi played the ball into the box for Moimbe racing in at the back post but the full back could not connect with the ball.

Four minutes of additional time was signalled in the first half and Latics were almost ahead deep into that.

Obadeyi crossed the ball into the box which Doyle controlled and laid back to Byrne. The attacker got past his man and fired from eight yards but somehow Oxford managed to clear the ball off the line with the goalkeeper beaten.

Seconds later, with the pressure on, Obadeyi again found Doyle in the box but his shot from 12 yards was blocked as the referee blew for half time.

Both sides had chances after the break as Obadeyi looped a header on to the roof of the goal whilst at the other end, Ryan Ledson’s effort cannoned into the path of Wes Thomas to shoot but he volleyed wide.

Latics could have done a lot better minutes later as Obadeyi raced at goal, but with Doyle and Byrne around him, elected to shoot and his shot was blocked.

On the hour mark, Moimbe was booked for a high tackle on Todd Kane which really lifted the home supporters.

From the resulting free kick, Oxford should have been ahead, had it have not been for the heroics of goalkeeper Johny Placide.

Henry’s cross found Rob Dickie on the six-yard box but Placide saved his effort from point blank range. An almighty scramble ensured but Latics managed to clear the danger.

After being turned down for a penalty in the first half, Latics felt they had a stronger case for a spot kick on 75 minutes.

Rob Hunt made an excellent run into the box, received the ball but appeared to be fouled by Henry but the referee gave nothing.

Clear cut chances were few and far between in the final minutes of the game but it was not for the want of trying.

Edmundson saw a header go wide, whilst Duckens Nazon, a second half substitute, cut in the from the left and shot but his effort was blocked.

Ledson went close from 25 yards but Placide made the save whilst in the final minute of additional time, Nazon’s effort from inside the box was deflected over the crossbar.

Oxford United: Eastwood, Ledson, Brannagan, Ruffels (Buckley-Ricketts 29’, Thomas 46’), Dickie, Henry, Rothwell, Kane, Obika, Ricardinho, Mousinho.

Subs not used: Shearer, Martin, Mehmeti, Smith-Brown, Napa.

Oldham Athletic: Placide, Hunt, Edmundson, Bryan (Hamer 18’), Moimbe, Fane, Gardner, Obadeyi (Nazon 68’), Byrne, McEleney, Doyle (Holloway 88’).

Subs not used: De La Paz, Nepomuceno, Pringle, Benteke.

Goals: Oxford United 0-0 Oldham Athletic

Attendance: 7,906 (492 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account