Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Nazon’s Double Secures Point Against AFC Wimbledon

21 April 2018

Club News

MATCH REPORT: Nazon’s Double Secures Point Against AFC Wimbledon

21 April 2018

A double from striker Duckens Nazon earned Oldham Athletic a point on the road against AFC Wimbledon to extend the unbeaten run to six games.

Latics fell behind in the first half as Jonathan Meades converted from close range to give the Dons a half time lead.

Athletic fought back in the second half and were level five minutes after the break. Nazon fired home at the back post to equalise, however, against the run of play, AFC Wimbledon were back ahead.

Joe Pigott fired into an empty goal to fire the Dons in front for a second time but Latics were deservedly level five minutes later.

Nazon again cooly slotted into the bottom corner to equalise for a second time. It was Athletic that did all the pressing for the winner but unfortunately could not convert their chances as both teams settled for a point.

Manager Richie Wellens opted for pace in his squad as he named Duckens Nazon and Tope Obadeyi on the wings, with Craig Davies and Eoin Doyle partnered in attack.

It was a quiet opening to the game but the first effort of the game went to Latics.

It was Davies who had the chance. The ball broke to him on the edge of the box and he fired at goal but George Long managed to make the save.

From the following counter attack, Wimbledon managed to take the lead. A corner into the box was not dealt with and Meades managed to convert from close range to put the Dons ahead.

It was almost two just a minute later as Andy Barcham almost had a sight of goal but Tom Hamer’s last ditch defending took the ball away from the forward.

Lyle Taylor had an effort saved minutes later as Latics needed a response to the early set back.

Athletic felt they should have been awarded a penalty midway through the half as a cross from Gardner found Davies who looked to be bundled to the floor but the referee said no penalty.

Latics almost equalised on the half hour mark as Gardner’s low corner found the onrushing Anthony Gerrard but his toe poke trickled across the line and nobody was able to convert.

Tope Obadeyi had two chances soon after but neither tested goalkeeper George Long.

Just before the half time interval Doyle went into the book for dissent as Wimbledon had the advantage at the break.

Wellens introduced midfielder Jack Byrne at the break and he made an immediate impact as Latics looked rejuvenated after the break.

And they were to get the equaliser on 50 minutes which came through Nazon. Hamer’s long throw caused problems in the Wimbledon box, it broke for Nazon who fired home from 12 yards to draw Latics level.

All the momentum was with Wellens’ men as Wimbledon struggled to deal with Hamer’s long throw ins. A number of times Edmundson attacked them but Long somehow managed to keep old of the ball.

It looked like Latics would be the ones who would score next, however, completely against the run of play, AFC Wimbledon were back ahead.

Meades did well on the left to win the ball ahead of two Athletic players and he rolled the ball back to Pigott who converted into an empty goal.

Latics did not let that goal affect them as they equalised five minutes later through Nazon.

Doyle found the Haitian striker on the edge of the box and he found the bottom corner from 18 yards to level for a second time in the game.

Again it was Athletic who looked the more threatening and likely to grab the winner. On 80 minutes, Doyle won the ball on the left, crossed into the box but it was just behind the striker.

Anthony Gerrard was forced off and was replaced by Brian Wilson as Latics continued to attack.

Deep into the game Latics thought they had grabbed the winning goal. Wilson’s cross found Holloway who headed across the box but Nazon’s effort from inside the box deflected wide.

Into four minutes of additional time, Wilson was forced to clear off the line, however, they could have won it in the final minute of the game.

Nazon found Holloway but he elected to cross for Doyle instead rather than take the chance himself but his cross was too far for the striker and the final whistle blew.

AFC Wimbledon: Long, Fuller, Maedes, Oshilaja, Charles, Parrett, Abdou, Trotter (Francomb 66’), Barcham (Kennedy 66’), Taylor, Pigott (Appiah 76’).

Subs not used: McDonnell, Robinson, Sam, Kaja.

Oldham Athletic: Placide, Hunt, Gerrard (Wilson 78’), Edmundson, Hamer, Fane, Gardner, Obadeyi (Byrne 46’), Nazon, Davies (Holloway 62’), Doyle.

Subs not used: De La Paz, Nepomuceno, Pringle, Benteke.

Goals: AFC Wimbledon (Meades 10’, Pigott 68’) 2-2 Oldham Athletic (Nazon 50’, 74’)

Attendance: 4,850 (476 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account