Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Point Moves Latics Out Of Relegation Places

28 April 2018

Oldham Athletic move out of the relegation places after drawing 0-0 at home to Doncaster Rovers.

Oldham Athletic move out of the relegation places after drawing 0-0 at home to Doncaster Rovers.

Chances were few and far between in the game as both sides struggled to create meaningful efforts.

However, results elsewhere ensured Athletic moved out of the relegation places going in to next weekend’s final game of the season against Northampton Town.

Manager Richie Wellens made a number of changes to the side which lost to Southend United on Tuesday night.

Latics started on the front foot and the supporters created a hostile atmosphere for the visitors.

The first chance of the game came on eight minutes as Jack Byrne threaded a through ball to Duckens Nazon but the striker’s effort was smothered by the goalkeeper.

Minutes later, Nazon’s effort towards goal was blocked and Byrne had a chance from 25 yards which hit a Doncaster Rovers player en route to goal.

Athletic had to be wary at the other end on 16 minutes as Matty Blair crossed for John Marquis but Tom Hamer blocked on the line.

Doncaster grew into the game and forced errors from Latics. However, Latics still threatened going forward as Ben Pringle crossed for Doyle but his header went inches wide of the post.

Byrne curled an effort into the arms of the goalkeeper just after the half hour mark as Latics continued to push for a goal.

Marquis was presented with a chance for Doncaster on 36 minutes after Wellens’ men struggled to clear their lines but he fired over from the edge of the box.

Latics were almost ahead before the break as Nazon laid the ball back to Byrne six yards from goal who directed the ball on target but Doncaster cleared inside their box.

There was no changes at the break but Athletic started the stronger of the two sides.

Nazon crossed for Doyle six yards from goal but the striker could not connect with his header properly as the chance was lost.

Shortly after an effort from Pringle was blocked in front of goal, Nazon had two chances to put Latics ahead.

He forced a save from Ian Lawlor on 53 minutes and from the rebound he curled inches wide from 25 yards.

Minutes later, Gevaro Nepomuceno crossed into the box for Doyle but a hand from Lawlor took the ball off the striker’s head.

Changes followed for both sides as Wellens brought on Craig Davies into the attack in place of Pringle.

Both sides struggled to create clear cut chances but it was Latics that did the pressing.

Hunt crossed from the right but it was too high from Davies whilst minutes later, substitute Patrick McEleney raced into the penalty area but could not cut the ball back for Nazon waiting in the area.

The ball went behind for a corner and from that, Nazon volleyed over. It was a nervy finish to the game with the crowd willing the players on but both sees had to settle for a point.

Oldham Athletic: Placide, Hunt, Hamer, Edmundson, Nepomuceno, Gardner, Pringle (Davies 64’), Benyu, Byrne (McEleney 75’), Nazon, Doyle.

Subs not used: De La Paz, Wilson, Stott, Obadeyi, Holloway.

Doncaster Rovers: Lawlor, McCullough (May 74’), Baudry, Butler, Mason, Marquis, Williams (Beestin 62’), Whiteman, Houghton, Blair (Kongolo 71’), Amos.

Subs not used: Marosi, Alcock, Anderson, Kiwomya.

Goals: Oldham Athletic 0-0 Doncaster Rovers

Attendance: 5,297 (770 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block