Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Respectable Point Earned At Ewood Park

10 February 2018

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Respectable Point Earned At Ewood Park

10 February 2018

10-man Oldham Athletic came away from Ewood Park with a respectable point as they drew 2-2 with Blackburn Rovers.

It all started well for Latics as a solo effort from Duckens Nazon put Latics ahead midway through the first half.

He doubled his tally and Athletic’s lead on 39 minutes as slotted into the bottom corner to give Athletic the half time lead.

The hosts came out positive in the second half and managed to pull a goal back just after the hour mark as Charlie Mulgrew curled a corner into the corner to reduce the arrears.

Blackburn managed to grab the equaliser with 20 minutes of the game remaining as Adam Armstrong finished off a flowing move.

Latics were forced to play the final minutes with 10-men as Wilfried Moimbe picked up his second booking of the game, however, Latics defended resolutely and managed to come away with a share of the spoils.

Manager Richie Wellens named an unchanged side following last weekend’s win against Bradford City. New signing Jonathan Benteke had to settle for a place on the bench.

Latics started brightly and could have been awarded a spot kick in the opening minute of the game.

Craig Davies was bundled to the floor inside the box but the referee quickly waved away the protests.

It was a fast-paced start to the first half as Davies this time tested the palms of David Raya from the edge of the box but the goalkeeper saved.

Whilst the home side enjoyed the early possession, Latics defended excellently and limited their opponents to shots from long distance.

Midway through the half, Pringle showed great vision to pick out an onrushing Davies but the striker just could not take the ball into his path.

Soon after, Latics took the lead through a superb solo strike from Nazon.

It all started from a long boot from Johny Placide as he picked out Nazon up field. He faced two defenders but managed to knock the ball beyond both of those and he rolled the ball past Raya to put Latics into a deserved lead.

Placide had to be wary soon after the goal as Jack Payne’s effort from 25 yards was heading for the corner but the goalkeeper made a good save.

Wilfried Moimbe put in another impressive display in the opening 45 minutes as he halted a number of Blackburn Rovers attacks.

With five minutes of the first half remaining, Latics were two goals ahead and Nazon had his second of the game.

Dan Gardner found space in the centre circle and he sprayed it wide to Nazon to run at the defence. He was not closed down and he rifled an effort into the bottom corner to put Latics two goals into the lead.

Athletic were forced into some defending towards the second half but the defence and goalkeeper stood firm to ensure Latics were two goals ahead at the break.

The home side made a double change at the break as they brought on Lewis Travis and Armstrong but Latics started well the second half well.

Cameron Dummigan found Nazon on the right and he crossed to Davies but the striker could not connect properly with his effort.

Five minutes later, Nazon felt he should have been awarded a penalty as he went over in the box but the referee, for a second time in the afternoon, waved away the protests.

Dummigan had an effort from 25 yards saved whilst at the other end, Danny Graham headed wide as Blackburn started to put the pressure on Latics.

That pressure paid off just after the hour mark as Blackburn pulled a goal back.

It took a set piece to get Blackburn back in the game as Mulgrew curled a free kick into the corner from 25 yards.

All the momentum was with the home side as they started to find pockets of space and exploited a vulnerable Latics.

On 70 minutes, Blackburn were level through substitute Armstrong.

Bradley Dack managed to find space on the right-hand side and he crossed to Armstong who struck beyond Placide to bring the home side level.

Wellens soon made a double switch and introduced Aaron Holloway and Tope Obadeyi in place of Nazon and Byrne as they looked to get something from the game.

Latics were still under the cosh and on 79 minutes, Placide had to make an excellent save to deny the home side taking the lead.

Armstong found space on the edge of the box and fired at goal but the goalkeeper did well to tip over.

Two minutes later, the striker again found space, this time to head at goal but it went wide of the post from eight yards.

Latics were reduced to 10-men on 82 minutes as Moimbe received his marching orders for a late foul on Elliott Bennett. That was the defender’s second booking of the game and Latics played out the final 10 minutes a man lighter.

The hosts continued to attack and efforts from Dack and Armstrong flew wide of Placide’s goal.

Eight minutes of additional time were signalled but Latics did their best to slow the game down as much as possible.

However, in the fifth minute of additional time, Athletic could have won all three points as Holloway burst through on goal but he put the ball wide of the goal.

Rovers continued to come forward but Athletic managed to hold on and gain a respectable point.

Oldham Athletic: Placide, Dummigan, Gerrard, Bryan, Moimbe, Fane, Gardner, Byrne (Obadeyi 72’), Pringle, Nazon (Holloway 72’), Davies (Wilson 85’).

Subs not used: De La Paz, Benyu, Nepomuceno, Benteke.

Blackburn Rovers: Raya, Nyambe, Williams, Smallwood (Armstrong 46’), Graham, Mulgrew, Bell, Payne, Dack, Downing (Travis 46’), Bennett.

Subs not used: Leutwiler, Samuel, Caddis, Evans, Conway.

Goals: Blackburn Rovers (Mulgrew 63’, Armstrong 70’) 2-2 Oldham Athletic (Nazon 26’, 39’)

Attendance: 13,665 (2,294 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account