Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Latics Move Out Of Relegation Places With Win

13 February 2018

Club News

MATCH REPORT: Latics Move Out Of Relegation Places With Win

13 February 2018

Anthony Gerrard’s first half header was the difference between the two sides as Oldham Athletic beat their relegation rivals MK Dons 1-0.

Latics took the lead five minutes before half time as Gerrard headed a Ben Pringle corner into the goal.

Athletic saw the game out professionally and limited their opponents to no efforts on goal as Latics moved out of the relegation zone.

The win signalled three games unbeaten for Latics and a first clean sheet for goalkeeper Johny Placide since the end of November. 

Manager Richie Wellens made one enforced change to his side which drew 2-2 with Blackburn Rovers on Saturday.

Wilfried Moimbe served his one game suspension with Gevaro Nepomuceno coming in at full back.

It was MK Dons who had the first effort of the game as Chuks Aneke tested the palms of Johny Placide from inside the box but he parried away his effort.

Minutes later, Robbie Muirhead curled around the post from 25 yards as the visitors started positively.

However, they were dealt a blow on 14 minutes as Aneke was forced off with a hamstring injury and he was replaced by Kieran Agard.

Latics had to be wary once again on 17 minutes as Placide misjudged a cross into the box. It went over his head but Scott Wootton could not convert at the back post.

Athletic came into the game and forced a couple of chances in quick succession.

Kean Bryan proded wide before Jack Byrne fired at goal from 25 yards but Lee Nicholls parried. The ball fell to Craig Davies but the striker dragged his effort wide.

Latics had the ball in the back of the net on 20 minutes as Byrne found Bryan with an inch-perfect free kick and he headed home but the linesman’s flag was up for offside.

Gerrard was forced to put in a last ditch challenge midway through the half as Ike Ugbo looked to shoot but the defender nicked the ball off his boot.

Ed Upson was booked for a dive in the penalty box on 32 minutes as Latics looked to build some momentum.

They did manage to take the lead on 40 minutes through a Gerrard header.

Pringle’s inswinging corner found the head of the defender and he fired into the top corner to give Latics the advantage going into the half time break.

Latics had two chances straight after the break to extend their lead. Byrne found Nazon over the top, he ran at the defence but his shot looped onto the roof of the goal.

From the resulting corner, the ball bounced around the box before sitting up nicely for Gardner to hit but he struck wide.

Chances dried up for both sides quickly and it was a slow start to the second half.

The game needed a lift and both sides made changes as Marcus Tavernier came on for the visitors whilst Aaron Holloway came on for Athletic.

The Dons were doing their best to muster a chance in front of goal but they were met by the stubborn back line which refused to be beaten.

Wellens introduced Tope Obadeyi and Ryan McLaughlin and it started to become a nervy ending.

However, Latics remained disciplined and limited their opponents to no efforts on goal and Latics held out for a deserved three points.

Oldham Athletic: Placide, Dummigan, Gerrard, Bryan, Nepomuceno, Fane, Gardner, Pringle (McLaughlin 81’), Byrne (Obadeyi 74’), Davies, Nazon (Holloway 67’).

Subs not used: De La Paz, Edmundson, Benyu, Benteke.

MK Dons: Nicholls, Williams, Lewington, Wootton (Nesbitt 82’), Upson (Tavernier 61’), Aneke (Agard 14’), Cisse, Muirhead, Ebanks-Landell, Tymon, Ugbo.

Subs not used: Sietsma, Ward, McGrandles, Brittain.

Goals: Oldham Athletic (Gerrard 40’) 1-0 MK Dons

Attendance: 3,381 (119 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account