Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Latics Defeated Against Shrewsbury Town

1 January 2018

Oldham Athletic kicked off 2018 with a defeat on the road against Shrewsbury Town.

Shaun Whalley’s close-range effort in the first half earned the Shrews the three points but Latics fought until the end.

Jack Byrne almost equalised on 78 minutes with a powerful strike which was well saved, whilst the biggest talking point came seconds later.

Craig Davies went down in the penalty area under a challenge from the last defender but the referee waved away the protests to the frustration of everyone associated with Oldham Athletic.

Manager Richie Wellens made four changes to his starting 11 from the game against Bristol Rovers on Saturday.

Anthony Gerrard returned to captain the side, whilst goalscorer from Saturday’s game Craig Davies earned a starting spot and led the line for Latics.

High-flying Shrewsbury Town had the first opportunity of the game on five minutes. Stefan Payne cut in from the left and unleashed a fierce effort which goalkeeper Johny Placide tipped over the crossbar.

It was an equal opening to the half as both sides enjoyed spells of possession.

Latics were the next to go close through midfielder Jack Byrne. After good football on the edge of the box, Byrne struck from 25 yards but his effort was saved by Dean Henderson.

Craig Davies also tested the palms of the goalkeeper a minute later as Latics took the game to their hosts.

However, Shrewsbury Town took the lead on 16 minutes through Shaun Whalley.

Abu Ogogo’s shot from 25 yards was saved but Placide could only palm it into the path of Whalley who converted from close range to put the hosts ahead.

The winger almost netted a second minutes later but his free kick flashed past the far post.

On the half hour mark, Placide again was forced into action as Stefan Payne’s close range header was tipped away by the goalkeeper.

The Shrews dominated the possession towards the end of the half and Latics were forced to only half chances.

Tope Obadeyi dragged a shot wide from distance on 43 minutes, the best chance Latics had before the referee blew his whistle for half time.

Athletic started the second half a lot better and almost found an equaliser on 47 minutes.

A free kick into the box by Byrne was met by the head of Anthony Gerrard but Shrews goalkeeper Henderson made a save on his goal line.

The hosts almost doubled their lead soon after but Aristote Nsiala fired over from close range from a corner kick.

Flynn’s last involvement in the game would a shot on goal from 25 yards before he was replaced by Aaron Amadi-Holloway on the hour mark.

His first touch was to win a free kick in a dangerous area whilst his second touch was to head at goal from the resulting set piece but the home side managed to clear.

The introduction of Holloway saw Latics retain the ball in higher areas and they started to put pressure on the Shrewsbury back line.

Byrne thought he had equalised on 78 minutes as he fired low towards the bottom corner from 25 yards but Henderson somehow managed to tip his effort around the post.

The momentum was with Latics and seconds later, they felt they should have been awarded a penalty.

A long ball forward by Byrne found the onrushing Davies, he was bundled to the floor by the last defender but the referee waved no penalty to the frustration of the Athletic supporters, players and management team.

Athletic huffed and puffed for a way back into the game but unfortunately they could not find the equaliser and came away from the game pointless.

Shrewsbury Town: Henderson, Sadler, Beckles, Whalley, Ogogo, Gnahoua (John-Lewis 77’), Bolton, Morris (Godfrey 67’), Nolan, Nsiala, Payne (Morris 85’).

Subs not used: MacGillivray, Riley, Adams, Rodman.

Oldham Athletic: Placide, Dummigan, Bryan, Gerrard, Hunt, Fane (Green 85’), Gardner, Flynn (Holloway 61’), Obadeyi (Menig 77’), Byrne, Davies.

Subs not used: Wilson, Wilson, Maouche, Nepomuceno.

Goals: Shrewsbury Town (Whalley 16’) 1-0 Oldham Athletic

Attendance: 6,383 (503 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account