Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Latics Defeated On The Road

6 January 2018

Oldham Athletic fell to a 1-0 defeat on the road against Charlton Athletic.

Stephy Mavididi’s first half strike was enough to separate the sides, however, Latics did throw everything at their hosts.

Aaron Amadi-Holloway had two chances in the second half to equalise but on both occasions he was thwarted by Charlton goalkeeper Ben Amos.

Latics continued to pile forward but were unable to get an equaliser and fell to defeat at the Valley.

Manager Richie Wellens made a number of changes to the side which lost 1-0 to high-flying Shrewsbury Town on Monday.

Aaron Holloway partnered Craig Davies in attack as Latics lined up in a 4-4-2 formation, however, it was the hosts who had the first opportunity of the game.

Winger Ricky Holmes cut inside and fired from 30 yards but his fierce effort smashed the crossbar.

Mavididi was booked minutes later for a dive whilst a minute later, Latics went close to a goal.

After a good run from Ousmane Fane, the ball fell invitingly for Rob Hunt but his effort went wide of the goal.

There wasn’t much between the two sides in the opening exchanges of the game.

Hunt enjoyed some joy on the left hand side as he had a shot blocked minutes later.

Latics fell behind on 27 minutes as Mavididi notched Charlton Athletic ahead.

The forward took the ball past Dan Gardner and Cameron Dummigan before firing past Johny Placide to put the Addicks ahead.

Latics had good chances to equalise minutes later as Hunt curled an effort inches wide of the top corner, whilst Holloway could not test Ben Amos from 25 yards as he made a comfortable save.

Five minutes before the break, good work from Holloway allowed Paul Green to strike from distance but again, Amos made the save.

It was a better start to the second half for Latics who showed a lot more attacking threat.

Holloway almost got Athletic back on level terms five minutes into the half as he dispossessed Patrick Bauer in his own penalty area but Amos saved his effort from eight yards.

Wellens introduced Tope Obadeyi into the action and he looked to get beyond his man at every opportunity.

His first involvement was a tame header which was easily saved by Amos, but minutes later, the winger raced at his defender and won a corner which forced a good spell of pressure from Latics.

Whilst Holmes tested the palms of Placide at the other end, Latics forced a succession of corners and penned their opponents into their own half.

Hunt was forced off with injury on 77 minutes as he was replaced by Mohamed Maouche.

Athletic’s best chance to draw level came on 83 minutes as Dummigan’s cross found Holloway in the penalty box. He controlled but smashed the ball against the feet of Amos who managed to save.

From the resulting corner, Holloway had a shot blocked and so did Obadeyi as Latics continued to throw everything at their hosts.

Charlton did have the final chance of the game as substitute Johnnie Jackson headed goalwards but it was blocked on the line by Dummigan.

Charlton Athletic: Amos, Kashi, Bauer, Marshall, Magennis, Holmes (Jackson 90+1’), Konsa, Mavididi (Ahearne-Grant 81’), Aribo, Dasilva, Lennon.

Subs not used: Phillips, Reeves, Sarr, Dijksteel, Hackett-Fairclild.

Oldham Athletic: Placide, Dummigan, Wilson, Gerrard, Hunt (Maouche 80’), Fane (Duffus 89’), Gardner (Obadeyi 53’), Nepomuceno, Green, Davies, Holloway.

Subs not used: Edmundson, Banks, Kyeremeh, Omrani.

Goals: Charlton Athletic (Mavididi 27’) 1-0 Oldham Athletic

Attendance: 9,972 (399 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account