Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Latics Into Quarter Final Of Checkatrade Trophy

17 January 2018

Oldham Athletic are two steps away from Wembley after beating Leicester City under 21s 4-2.

Latics set up a quarter final tie with Shrewsbury Town after a brace from Craig Davies and further goals from Anthony Gerrard and Tope Obadeyi secured Athletic’s passage through.

Josh Knight had given Leicester the half time lead before two goals from Davies turned the tie on its head.

Ahmed Musa equalised for the under 21s but Gerrard’s close range strike and Obadeyi’s late header secured the win.

Manager Richie Wellens named youth team defender Tom Hamer in the starting 11 as Cameron Dummigan missed the game with injury.

He started well and Latics almost took the lead on seven minutes. Hamer’s long throw in found Craig Davies in the box, he cut the ball back to Brian Wilson but his shot was cleared off the line.

Latics continued to attack and Kundai Benyu curled a free kick towards the top corner but Ben Hamer made the save.

Minutes later, Tope Obadeyi met a deflected Gevaro Nepomuceno cross into the box but Leicester defender Robert Huth cleared off the line.

Just after the half hour mark, defender George Edmundson headed against the post but had to be alive at the other end from the counter attack.

Fousseni Diabate raced past the defence and looked to find the bottom corner, but the defender cleared off the line.

On 43 minutes, Leicester City under 21s took the lead through Knight. After Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall’s shot was parried by Placide and it fell into the path of Knight who converted from close range.

Edmundson had a chance before the break to level but he could not connect properly with a header from a corner.

Wellens introduced Aaron Amadi-Holloway at the break in place of Benyu and he made an immediate impact as Latics drew level.

A defence splitting pass by Pringle saw Holloway feed Davies in the area and he poked home to equalise.

The striker had the perfect opportunity to put Latics ahead five minutes later as they were awarded a penalty.

Nepomuceno’s cross hit a Leicester City hand and Davies stepped up but his initial kick was saved however, he fired home the rebound to put Athletic ahead.

Nepomuceno had two chances to extend Athletic’s lead minutes later. He smashed his first effort wide after being set up by Holloway, whilst his second he cut inside and fired straight at Ben Hamer.

Latics were made to rue those missed chances as Leicester City equalised on 68 minutes. Latics were temporarily down to 10-men after Hamer went off injured and Leicester capitalised.

Harvey Barnes received the ball out wide, crossed into the centre for Musa to convert from close range.

Latics did not let their heads drop and went in search of the lead for a second time.

And they did manage to get that on 76 minutes through Gerrard. Pringle’s corner to the back post found Holloway who laid the ball into the path of the central defender to score.

Athletic needed to seal the game and they did that in the final five minutes.

Obadeyi met a Pringle free kick into the box to head home from eight yards to put Latics through to the quarter final of the Checkatrade Trophy.

Oldham Athletic: Placide, Wilson, Gerrard, Edmundson, Hamer (Maouche 69’), Fane (Omrani 82’), Pringle, Benyu (Holloway 46’), Nepomuceno, Obadeyi, Davies.

Subs not used: Kyrermeh, Uche, Scholes-Beard, Duffus.

Leicester City: Hamer, Huth, Musa, Thomas, Barnes, Diabate (Gordon 69’), Knight, Choudury, Hughes, Wood, Dewsbury-Hall (Eppiah 82’).

Subs not used: Johnson, Ndukwu, Iverson, Thomas, Lashebela.

Goals: Oldham Athletic (Davies 50’, 56’, Gerrard 76’, Obadeyi 86’) 4-2 Leicester City (Knight 43’, Musa 68’)

Attendance: 1,192

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account