Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Latics Beaten On The Road

20 January 2018

Oldham Athletic were beaten 3-0 by Peterborough United at the ABAX Stadium.

All three goals came in the second half as Junior Morais swept Posh into the lead on 53 minutes whilst two late strikes sealed the win.

George Cooper doubled Peterborough’s lead before substitute Dan Gardner was adjudged to have fouled Jack Marriott in the penalty box and he stepped up to send Johny Placide the wrong way and ensured Latics came away from the game pointless.

Manager Richie Wellens made three changes to the midweek win over Leicester City under 21s and handed second debuts to Kean Bryan and Jack Byrne.

Bryan signed on loan until the end of the season earlier in the week whilst Byrne penned a two-and-a-half year contract and were both making their first appearance since the New Year’s Day defeat to Shrewsbury Town.

Latics started brightly as the attacked from the off and won a promising free kick that resulted in Liam Shephard earning a booking in the opening minute.

Brian Wilson was fouled and whilst the initial free kick was cleared, the ball came back into the box and found an unmarked Craig Davies but he hit his volley against the goalkeeper.

Peterborough broke and Marcus Maddison raced through on goal but Wilson recovered to block his attempted shot.

It was Athletic who had the better chances in the opening 45 minutes and they were almost ahead on 11 minutes.

Tope Obadeyi intercepted a pass and found Davies on the right. He fired low towards Byrne who took the ball in his stride and attempted to find the bottom corner but the ball was cleared inside the six-yard box.

Athletic did have to be wary of the counter attack as striker Jack Marriott raced through on goal on 19 minutes but Johny Placide came out and made a great save to deny the forward.

Anthony Gerrard was forced off midway through the half with injury as Byrne took over the captain’s armband.

Latics had two good chances just after the half hour mark. Firstly, Ben Pringle capitalised on an error in the defence but had his shot from 12 yards blocked, whilst from the resulting corner, Byrne’s fierce effort was saved by Jonathan Bond.

Wellens’ men continued to attack towards the end of the half as Pringle headed inches wide and Cameron Dummigan fired an effort wide.

It was goalless at the break but Posh started the second half strongly and were almost ahead on 52 minutes.

Maddison fired in a free kick from close range which hit Ousmane Fane as he managed to clear.

However, a minute later, Peterborough United were ahead through Morais.

The forward received the ball in space, was allowed to turn 25 yards from goal and he slotted into the bottom corner to give Posh the lead.

Latics almost hit back straight away but Davies’ header went over the crossbar.

Placide had to be alert minutes later as twice Peterborough went close to a second goal.

Firstly, Chris Forrester fired from 30 yards which Placide did well to tip over the crossbar, whilst a minute later, Edmundson cleared off the line after a fierce strike from Marriott.

Both sides made changes as Wellens brought on Dan Gardner and Aaron Holloway to add to the fire power.

However, Latics were faced with a problem as they were reduced to 10-men on 68 minutes as Edmundson received his marching orders.

He pulled back Marriott which earned him a second yellow card and Latics played the final 20 minutes a man lighter.

That did not stop Latics attacking and they were a whisker away from a leveller on 75 minutes.

Byrne laid the ball off into the path of Gardner who rattled the post from 25 yards as Latics went close.

Posh thought they had doubled their lead on 78 minutes as Maddison’s whipped cross found Morais in the centre but he was adjudged to be offside.

They did eventually double their lead on 84 minutes as Cooper curled his effort into the bottom corner and in the final minute, Posh had the chance to further extend their lead from the penalty spot.

Gardner was adjudged to have fouled Marriott in the penalty box and he picked himself up to send Placide the wrong way to win the game for Posh.

Peterborough United: Bond, Shephard, Hughes, Tafazolli, Forrester, Lloyd (Ward 60’), Maddison (Cooper 77’), Marriott, Morais (Kanu 83’), Taylor, Grant.

Subs not used: O’Malley, Baldwin, Penny, Doughty.

Oldham Athletic: Placide, Dummigan, Gerrard (Edmundson 25’), Bryan, Wilson, Fane, Benyu (Gardner 60’), Pringle, Byrne, Obadeyi (Holloway 61’), Davies.

Subs not used: De La Paz, Maouche, Nepomuceno, Duffus.

Goals: Peterborough United (Morais 53’, Cooper 84’, Marriott 90’) 3-0 Oldham Athletic

Attendance: 5,027 (367 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block