Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Latics Fall To Home Defeat

27 January 2018

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Latics Fall To Home Defeat

27 January 2018

Oldham Athletic still await their first league win of 2018 after they fell to a 1-2 home defeat against Plymouth Argyle.

Two early first half goals from Antoni Sarcevic and Ruben Lameiras put Latics on the back foot but they responded well.

Craig Davies pulled a goal back 10 minutes into the second half but despite Athletic’s best efforts, they fell to defeat.

Manager Richie Wellens made five changes following Tuesday night’s defeat against Shrewsbury Town.

Anthony Gerrard came back into the side following a thigh injury and he felt on four minutes he should have been awarded a penalty after he was pulled back in the penalty area but the referee waved play on.

It was a scrappy opening but the visitors took the lead on 17 minutes through Sarcevic.

A long diagonal ball was headed by Ryan Taylor into the path of the midfielder who volleyed home to give Plymouth the advantage.

They doubled that lead two minutes later as Lameiras fired in the rebound after a Graham Carey effort was saved by Placide.

Latics were reeling and that forced Wellens to make an early change as Ousmane Fane was brought off for Duckens Nazon for his debut.

The striker made an immediate impact as he turned his man in the penalty area but his effort was saved at the front post.

Soon after, Nazon was almost presented with a great chance from a Craig Davies free kick. After his set piece was blocked, the ball deflected into the path of Nazon but he could not apply the finish.

Nazon was right in the thick of the action and on 37 minutes came Athletic’s best chance of the half.

Ben Pringle fed through the striker who crossed to Davies in the centre but he slid the ball wide with Remi Matthews scrambling to get across.

Latics continued to take the game to their visitors with Pringle and Jack Byrne both going close but on 42 minutes, Matthews pulled off a great save to ensure Athletic did not find a way back into the game.

Byrne crossed into the box, it found Davies in the middle of the goal but Matthews managed to tip the ball over the bar as Latics trailed at the break.

Latics needed a response after the break but were almost further behind on 50 minutes.

Carey’s free kick from 25 yards was a good one but went the wrong side of the post.

However, they were back in the game on 54 minutes as Davies’ deflected strike found the bottom corner.

Whether it was a cross or a shot, only Davies will know but he received the ball in the box and Songo’o’s outstretched leg saw the ball deflect into the bottom corner.

Latics had the momentum and almost had the leveller on the hour mark. Pringle’s corner found the head of Kean Bryan but the defender’s effort was cleared off the line.

Athletic had half chances to get back into the game as Pringle, Byrne and Gerrard struck goalwards but were all dealt with.

The visitors had a great chance to make it three on 70 minutes but striker Taylor headed wide from inside the penalty area.

With time running out, Athletic continued to go in search of the leveller but were met by a stubborn Plymouth defence.

Byrne curled an effort over the crossbar with two minutes remaining. Latics huffed and puffed but could not find the equaliser and fell to defeat.

Oldham Athletic: Placide, Dummigan, Bryan, Gerrard, Nepomuceno, Fane (Nazon 26’), Pringle, McLaughlin (Holloway 77’), Byrne, Gardner, Davies.

Subs not used: De La Paz, Hamer, Benyu, Obadeyi, Duffus.

Plymouth Argyle: Matthews, Sawyer, Songo’o, Ness, Sarcevic, Carey (Church 90+3’), Lameiras (Sinclair-Taylor 86’), Bradley, Threlkeld, Taylor, Cox.

Subs not used: Miller, Ainsworth, Grant, Cooper, Sangster.

Goals: Oldham Athletic (Davies 54’) 1-2 Plymouth Argyle (Sarcevic 17’, Lameiras 19’)

Attendance: 4,274 (588 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account