Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Latics Suffer Defeat On The Road

30 March 2018

Oldham Athletic fell to defeat at the DW Stadium as Wigan Athletic ran out 3-0 winners.

Will Grigg gave the home side the lead just before the half time break whilst substitute James Vaughan doubled their advantage four minutes after.

Nick Powell rounded off the scoring for Wigan just after the hour mark.

Latics did battle until the end and felt they should have been awarded a penalty with time running out but the referee waved away the protests and booked Eoin Doyle for his protestations.

Manager Richie Wellens made two changes to the side which lost 0-2 at home to Portsmouth two weeks ago.

Rob Hunt came in for the injured Cameron Dummigan whilst Ben Pringle returned to the starting 11 in place of Ryan McLaughlin.

It was an even start to the game as both sides had early efforts.

The home side had the first chance of the game as Powell was allowed space on the edge of the box to shoot, however, Johny Placide managed to get his fingertips to the ball to divert behind for a corner.

At the other end, Craig Davies laid the ball into the path of Dan Gardner who rifled an effort from 25 yards which stung the hands of goalkeeper Christian Walton.

The home side started to dictate possession and had two chances in a minute to take the lead.

Grigg got behind the defence and forced a save from Placide, whilst the should have taken the lead from the resulting corner.

After Placide parried Nick Powell’s header into the path of Grigg, the striker somehow put the ball wide from six yards which was a let off for Latics.

Two bookings for Latics followed as Ben Pringle and Dan Gardner found themselves in the referee’s notebook.

With chances limited throughout the half, the game came alive in the final 10 minutes of the half.

On 35 minutes, Doyle picked out Davies in the penalty box, it was on the striker’s weaker foot but he dug the ball out but goalkeeper Christian Walton made the save.

Soon after, Gardner’s long searching ball managed to split Dan Burn and Chey Dunkley with Eoin Doyle racing through on goal. The striker took the ball in his stride but Walton again made the save from 18 yards.

A flurry of chances for the home side followed as Nick Powell and Nathan Byrne both tested Placide but the goalkeeper saved well twice.

The pressure was coming from the home side as Michael Jacobs twisted and turned on the edge of the box before Placide again made a save.

That pressure was to tell on 40 minutes as Wigan Athletic took the lead through Grigg.

Good work between Powell and Grigg saw the striker played through on goal and he lifted the ball over the onrushing Placide to give the hosts the lead at the break.

Wigan Athletic made a change at the half time break as Vaughan replaced goalscorer Will Grigg and he made an immediate impact as he doubled their lead on 49 minutes.

A mix up at the back allowed Vaughan the opportunity to shoot and he put the ball beyond Placide to extend Wigan’s lead.

Latics felt they should have been awarded a penalty minutes later as Wilfried Moimbe advanced into the penalty area and shot but the referee waved away the protests.

Patrick McEleney was quickly introduced in place of Ben Pringle as Latics looked for a way back into the game.

He almost made an immediate impact as he curled an effort towards goal from 25 yards but Walton was equal to the effort.

McEleney continued to impress as soon after he took on two defenders before crossing towards the back post for Doyle but his volley was blocked.

Just as Latics were starting to build some momentum in the game, they were hit on the break as Powell managed to cut in from the left and slot into the bottom corner to put the game beyond doubt.

Latics did battle to get back into the game as Rob Hunt and Kean Bryan both saw efforts from distance fly by the post.

Doyle felt he should have been awarded a penalty on 84 minutes as he looked to be hauled to the floor by Burn but the referee said no and booked the striker for his protestations.

Wigan Athletic: Walton, Byrne, Elder, Morsy, Power, Grigg (Vaughan 46’), Jacobs, Dunkley, Powell (Roberts 82’), Colclough (Massey 63’), Burn.

Subs not used: Jones, Perkins, Cole, Bruce.

Oldham Athletic: Placide, Hunt, Wilson, Bryan, Moimbe, Fane, Gardner, Pringle (McEleney 56’), Byrne (McLaughlin 71’), Davies (Holloway 64’), Doyle.

Subs not used: De La Paz, Edmundson, Benyu, Nazon.

Goals: Wigan Athletic (Grigg 40’, Vaughan 49’, Powell 66’) 3-0 Oldham Athletic

Attendance: 10,625 (1,735 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account