Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Three Points And Three Goals For Latics

15 September 2018

A Sam Surridge quick fire double and Jose Baxter’s first goal since resigning for Oldham Athletic was enough for Oldham to take home a comfortable win in the end.

The first half in truth wasn’t a pretty affair as the ball hardly hit the deck in the opening half an hour.

Grimsby were putting the pressure on Latics early on with a barrage of long throw ins from Mitch Rose which created the first chance of the game.

Grimsby Captain Danny Collins managed to flick on one of these many throw ins coming in, but he could only flick it into the hands of the returning Daniel Iversen.

Oldham had their first chance when Surridge’s effort was blocked and fell nicely to Dan Gardner, but the midfielder could only fire his volley over the bar.

The hosts probably should have taken the lead after George Edmundson was pushed off the ball in the corner of the pitch, suspicion of a foul, but the referee waved play on.

The ball was worked nicely into the box with Elliot Embleton finding himself clean through on goal, but Iversen spread himself nicely to block the shot.

Oldham eventually worked themselves into the game as Chris O’Grady crossed in from the left-hand side into Callum Lang, but the on-loan Wigan Athletic man couldn’t guide his header on target.

Surridge then tested The Mariners goalkeeper James McKeown with a low shot, but McKeown got down quickly to push it out for a corner.

As the half time approached Andy Taylor played a long ball into the path of O’Grady and the striker coming in from the left curled an effort just past the post.

However, the second half was a completely different game as Surridge and McKeown were having their own personal battle.

Twice Surridge found himself free inside the Grimsby penalty area, but twice McKeown denied the young striker.

It would be Surridge who would have the last laugh though as he netted his fourth and fifth goal of the season in a frantic two-minute spell.

O’Grady released Surridge in on the Grimsby backline, the Bournemouth loanee drove it forward and slid it brilliantly into the net.

The same combination worked minutes later as Surridge got himself into the box, seeing his initial shot blocked before poking it past McKeown.

Latics were looking confident in defending their lead, but Iversen had to be on his toes when Martyn Woolford’s driving effort was tipped over brilliantly by the Dane.

Baxter who came on for O’Grady wrapped up the points as the game entered stoppage time.

Ishmael Miller held the ball up for Gardner who got down the right-hand side before crossing into an unmarked Baxter who headed into an empty net.

There was still time for Iversen to deny JJ Hooper with a save diving low to his left as Frankie Bunn’s men took home the three points back to Boundary Park.

Attendance: 4746 (832 Away)

Grimsby Town

McKeown, Famewo (Pringle 76’), Collins, Davis, Hendrie, Woolford, Rose, Hessenthaler, Embleton (Hooper 68’), Cook (Vernam 25’), Thomas

Oldham Athletic

Iversen, Hunt, Clarke ©, Edmundson, Taylor, Branger-Engone, Gardner, Missilou, Lang (Nepomuceno 61’), O’Grady (Baxter 78’), Surridge (Miller 83’)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account