Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Two Goals By Lang Stops Tranmere

Oldham Athletic 2-0 Tranmere Rovers

2 April 2019

Callum Lang’s two fantastic goals put an end to Tranmere Rovers winning run in the league.

Scoring a goal in each half it was the Wigan loanee’s man of the match performance that shone on the night at Boundary Park in a nervy but exciting affair. 

With the visitors on the crest of a wave, they visited Oldham on the last evening game of the season at Boundary Park, but it was the boys in blue and white who started on the front foot again with Maouche in the opening minutes having a shot from a narrow on target that was saved from Davies after his initial corner from the left was returned.

Much to the surprise of the superb away following from the Super White Army, it was Latics who took the lead on the seventh minute. Lang picked the ball up on the far left, putting the ball through Ellis’ legs before running into the box at an angle where he released a shot that nestled into the bottom left corner in front of the Rovers fans. A superb individual effort!

As the visitors looked to equalise, Micky Mellon’s side started to dominate in possession but failed to produce any clear-cut chances.

The big defender, Monthe turned and released a powerful effort that flew over the bar on the 20th minute mark and then 10-minutes later Banks’ free-kick was punched away by Iversen in the Oldham goal.

The last bit of noticeable action in the first-half came in the form of Morris who dragged his shot wide of the home net after an initial free kick from Norwood was deflected into his path. 

As the tension rose inside the ground it wasn’t until 10-minutes in when Banks’ lofted free kick was headed onto the roof of the crossbar much to the relief of the home side.

The first real chance for Latics came just before the hour mark when Branger’s free kick from the left was delivered into a dangerous area just in front of Davies. Unfortunately the players couldn’t connect by the Rovers keeper Davies had to collect the ball on the second occasion.

Minutes later and Missilou picked up the ball in the Tranmere half drove forward 15 yards before shooting which couldn’t trouble Davies.

Then straight away the opposition Maroon called Iversen into action, pushing a shot from Smith away. Monthe then got in on the act again, drilling a shot into the young Dane’s hands.

On the hour mark and Lang doubled his and Oldham’s tally for the night. Collecting a loose ball he hesitated before nestling it across the goal, another superb individual effort and something the Boundary Park faithful lapped up.

Five minutes passed before Lang tried to bag his hat trick. Cutting inside again from the wing he couldn’t quite connect with the shot that the Tranmere keeper kindly collected with ease.

As Tranmere tried to get a foothold of the game to try and get back into it the Oldham defensive unit stood strong defending their two goal lead with Rovers substitute Smith looking the most likely to create something for the visitors.

Entering the last ten Sylla was introduced by Wild to sure things up in midfield for the home side who would professionally ‘see out’ the tie to record the Head Coach’s second win in as many games with the same result. Four goals, two clean sheets culminating in a positive four or five days for the club on the pitch.

Attendance: 5,143 (2,342 Away)

Oldham Athletic
Iversen, Edmundson, Iacovitti, O’Grady (80’ Sylla), Missilou, Lang, Branger-Engone, Clarke ©, Nepomuceno, Maouche, Hamer.

Tranmere Rovers
Davies ©, Ridehalgh, Monthe, Harris (52’ Smith), Norwood, Jennings, Caprice, Ellis, Perkins, Morris, Banks.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account