Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Another Two Goals And A Clean Sheet

Colchester United 0-2 Oldham Athletic

6 April 2019

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Another Two Goals And A Clean Sheet

Colchester United 0-2 Oldham Athletic

6 April 2019

First-half goals from Alex Iacovitti and Callum Lang made it three wins on the bounce for Latics after also a terrific defensive display in the second-half.

Head Coach Pete Wild named an unchanged starting line-up once again and it would prove fruitful as the side started the stronger away from home.

A couple of minutes in Lang found Hamer on the edge of the box who connected well with the ball, his effort just going wide of the top-left corner. 

Then on the fifth minute the lads in Tangerine took the lead. Nepomuceno with the corner on the right found Lang at the back post. His knock-down then fell to Clarke, his shot then went into the path of Iacovitti who shot across goal from close range.

Shortly after Oldham found themselvs two goals in front when the U's gifted the ball to the in-form Lang. A hard back-pass couldn't be controlled by Barnes in the Colchester goal. Instead of stopping a corner he gave the ball to the on-loan attacker and duly accepted the offer to curl it into the bottom corner.

On the 21st minute Lang nearly doubled his tally but the U's keeper pulled off a brilliant instinctive save to his left to redeem some pride.

Minutes later and Missilou drilled a shot from range that stung the hands of Barnes after Colchester failed to clear three successive corners to keep Latics in total domination in the early stages.

The first real chance for the hosts came on the half-hour mark when Vincent-Young cut inside from the left. His effort fell straight into the hands of Iversen.

As the opening 45-minutes came to a quiety end Colchester tried to increase the pressure on the Oldham goal as penalty appeals were waved away from referee Swabey.

The last bit of action save Senior break on Latics after collecting the ball but Edmundson did enough to put the winger off balance.

As the light drizzle on a cold afternoon in Essex eased up for the second-half it was John McGreal's side who started the stronger to try and reduce the deficit.

A good spell of pressure for the hosts saw corner after corner for the home side but Iversen held onto the ball after Norris rose highest to head on target.

As Colchester took it up a gear the Oldham defence stood resolute, but on the hour mark it was Lang who tried to make something out of nothing. His shot from outside of the box took a bobble and Barnes had to push away a troubling effort.

With not much action apart from the U's trying to find their way through, it was substitute Nouble who had a golden chance to get a goal back for the home side. He failed to direct the ball on target from a couple of yards out after a low shot was fired in.

As the game entered the final ten-minutes it was Iversen who was called into action again, stopping a free-kick from Dickenson nestling into the top right.

The pressure kept piling on the Oldham defence but block after block they kept Colchester at bay to record another professional performance and important confidence boosting result. 

Attendance: 3,975 (254 Latics Fans)

Colchester United
Barnes, Jackson, Lapslie (71' Dickenson), Prosser, Kent, Senior, Norris (64' Mandron), Szmodics, Vincent-Young, Stevenson, Eisa (45' Nouble).

Oldham Athletic
Iversen, Edmundson, Iacovitti, O'Grady, Missilou (76' Sylla), Lang, Branger-Engone (65' Afolayan), Clarke (C), Nepomuceno, Maouche, Hamer.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account