Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: No Goals At The Jonny-Rocks Stadium

19 April 2019

Match Reports

REPORT: No Goals At The Jonny-Rocks Stadium

19 April 2019

Neither side could find an opening in the Good Friday fixture as both teams continue their unbeaten runs.

In a sun-drenched Jonny-Rocks stadium it was the hosts who got the action underway with Luke Varney heading over in the box after good work on both wings.

Minutes later and it was Varney again who was involved, missing out on guiding the ball into Iversen's goal, instead letting it trickle past his far post.

Latics eventually got a hold of the tie 15-minutes in when Afolayan pinched the ball away from Scott Flinders in the Cheltenham goal. As Oldham exchanged passes on the edge of the box it eventually went off target into the stand where the Latics supporters were.

Five minutes past before Oldham were involved in another chance. Link-up play between Baxter and Lang released Afolayan on the right who fired a low cross in that unfortunately wasn't met.

Seconds later and Baxter had a shot himself. His effort on the edge of the box was held well by the Cheltenham keeper after a great turn on the pass from Afolayan.

Latics kept up the pressure midway through the opening half with Iacovitti finding Afolayan from left to right. His take down on his chest created an opening but his effort was blocked as it was released from his right boot.

Ten minutes before the interval and Iacovitti delivered a cross that nearly found Lang at the back post.

As the opening half came to an end it was Michael Duff's men who got back on top in terms of pressure.

Referee Ben Toner, who also refereed the return fixture at Boundary Park at the start of the season, ruled out the opener after a foul on Clarke in the box by Raglan as the ball nestled into the bottom corner from a Hussey corner on the left.

The goalless half came to an end with Cheltenham finishing with a succession of corners that were dealt with by the boys in blue.

Pete Wild made a change at the break with Sylla coming on for Baxter in the centre of the pitch.

The home side who were on a great run of form at home were back under pressure when Oldham found time in the hosts box, but a shot couldn't find its way goalwards through Afolayan and then Clarke.

Afolayan continued the assault by beating two challenges before finding Hamer in space on the right, his shot going over the Cheltenham crossbar.

A minute later on 56, a free-kick from Maouche in a dangerous position went across goal and Flinders pushes it around his post well.

The resulting corner was eventually dealt with by Cheltenham before another free-kick in a similar position two minutes later was curled over, this time by Nepomuceno.

The Robins got back into the game on the hour mark when Iversen pulled off a fantastic save, making himself big in the process to stop Dawson taking the lead for the home side. Sylla blocking the effort from the corner on the line straight afterwards.

On the 67th minute it was Latics who were searching for that important opening goal. Clarke heading over from close range after connecting with Nepomuceno's corner unchallenged.

As tension grew inside the ground Benteke was introduced mid-way through the second-half by Wild. 

Oldham were looking the more likelier to score towards the end but both sides had to settle with a point and no goals.

Attendance: 4,022 (544 Latics fans)

Cheltenham Town: Flinders, Long (76' Broom), Hussey, Tozer (C), Thomas, Dawson, Boyle, Lloyd (55' Waters), Raglan, Tillson (62' Maddox), Varney.

Oldham Athletic: Iversen, Edmundson, Iacovitti, Baxter (46' Sylla), Missilou, Afolayan (76' Benteke), Lang, Clarke (C), Nepomunceno (82' Hunt), Maouche, Hamer.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account