Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Oldham Athletic Suffer Defeat Against Blackburn Rovers

13 August 2019

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Oldham Athletic Suffer Defeat Against Blackburn Rovers

13 August 2019

Oldham Athletic have been knocked out of the Carabao Cup after a 3-2 defeat against Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park.

It was a slow start to the game for both sides’, the first chance came in the 10th minute when Missilou tried his luck from a tight angle but his strike went over the bar.

Latics took the lead in the 14th minute when Gevaro Nepomuceno drove at the Blackburn defence before smashing a low strike into the bottom corner of Jayson Leutwiler’s goal.

The host nearly equalised when a cross came into the Oldham box, Danny Graham failed to make contact with the ball with his header but it landed to Corry Evans and his strike was blocked on the line by Ashley Smith-Brown.

Moments later, Stuart Downing put a cross into the box and was met by the head of Ben Brereton but he headed wide of Gary Woods’ goal.

Shortly after half-time, John Buckley raced down the right-wing for the home side and put the ball into the box and Brereton header was denied by Woods.

The home side should have been level following good play from Harry Chapman and Bradley Dack inside the penalty. Dack chipped the ball to the back post and somehow Brereton’s header was blocked on the line by Zak Mills and hit the post before Woods claimed the ball.

Latics countered and Johan Branger-Engone tried an ambitious effort from way outside the Blackburn penalty area but it was easily caught by Leutwiler.

Rovers found an equaliser in the 70th minute after Smith-Brown lost possession inside his own penalty area. Graham laid it off to Dack and the substitute slotted it past Woods and into the back of the net.

The host thought they took the lead when Missilou deflected a Blackburn free-kick into his own net but it was disallowed.

Latics took the lead in 80th minute as Dylan Fage swung a cross into the box and it was cleared to the edge of the box and there was Mohamed Maouche who smashed the ball into the top corner.

Dack nearly got the home side level again and he tried to sneak his shot under Woods but the goalkeeper stayed strong.

Following that, Graham headed the ball down to Dack and the midfielder’s shot went just wide of the Oldham post.

In the 92nd minute, Blackburn found a leveller through Downing. His long shot from outside the penalty area found the bottom corner.

And in the 94th minute, the home side nicked a very late winner as a long ball over the top landed to Dack, laying it off to Joe Rothwell, who slotted into an open net and sent Blackburn into the Second Round of the Carabao Cup.

Blackburn Rovers 3-2 Oldham Athletic

Attendance 5,215 (Away 686)

Oldham Athletic – Woods, Mills, Iacovitti, Sefil, Smith-Brown, Maouche ©, Nepomuceno (Branger-Engone 65’), Missilou, Fage (Hmaer 86’), Sylla, Azankpo (Wilson 79’).

Subs – Zabret, Stott, Hamer, Branger-Engone, Eagles, Vera, Wilson.

Blackburn Rovers – Leutwiler, Nyambe, Cunningham, Smallwood (Rothwell 52’), Graham, Downing, Brereton, Evans (Dack 63’), Grayson, Platt (Chapman 60’), Buckley.

Subs – Walton, Williams, Rothwell, Gallagher, Chapman, Dack, Rakin-Costello.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account