Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Latics Beaten By Salford City

29 December 2019

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Latics Beaten By Salford City

29 December 2019

Braces from Jake Jervis and Brandon Asante ensured that it was Salford City who won the first competitive outings between the two clubs.

The defeat puts an end to Oldham’s winning run and will be looking to bounce back on New Year’s Day when Scunthorpe United come to Boundary Park.

Latics started brightly and Filipe Morias had the first half-chance of the game inside the first minute of proceedings but his effort was blocked. Five minutes later, Azankpo headed over the bar from a Jonny Smith corner.

However, it was the visitors who broke the deadlock. Jake Jervis cut in from the left-hand side before his shot found its way to the bottom corner via the hand of the Zeus De La Paz who will be disappointed that he was unable to keep the scores level.

Less than a minute later, the Ammies doubled their lead. A long ball over the top found Brandon Asante who had far too much time and space and his effort flew into the back of the net giving the Latics’ stopper no chance.

In a bid to recover the two-goal deficit, Chris McCann put a defence-splitting pass for Morais to run onto but unfortunately, he could not get a telling touch. There were muted appeals for a Latics penalty for a handball in the 33rd minute when Morais’ shot thundered of a Salford defender.

An incisive break away from the visitors in the 36th minute put the game beyond doubt. Smart work from Craig Conway followed by an exquisite cross to the back post where Jervis was on hand to head home his second goal of the afternoon.

Any faint hopes of a comeback were gone less than three minutes into the second half, Jake Jervis had the freedom of Boundary Park and when the ball came to him, he could not miss.

Latics had a chance to pull one back from the penalty spot but Morais’ spot-kick was saved well by Christopher Neal.

A brilliant header from Desire Segbe Azankpo did reduce the deficit to three goals. An inviting cross from Zak Mills that found the unmarked forward who expertly headed the ball into the top corner of Salford’s net.

Oldham never gave up and continued to push for a goal, Scott Wilson had the most notable chance but he headed wide from a difficult angle but Salford soaked up any pressure and were a constant threat on the break and they very nearly made it five, Asante got on the end of a through ball and went round De La Paz, his pull-back was good but the eventual shot flew over the bar.

Jervis had another chance to take home the match ball but he sidefooted an effort over the bar after a peach of delivery put it on a plate for the wideman.

Oldham Athletic 1-4 Salford City.

Attendance: 5279 (773 away).


Oldham Athletic: De La Paz, Mills, Morais (64, Eagles), Maouche, Segbe Azankpo, Sylla, McCann (61, Wilson), Smith, Egert (23, Fage), Wheater ©, Hamer.

Substitutes: Woods, Wilson, Fage, Adams, Akpa Akpro, Eagles, Emmerson.

Salford City: Neal, Touray, Threlkeld, Hogan ©, Rooney (82, Whitehead), Burgess, Towell, Jones (45, Maynard), Asante, Jervis, Conway (88, Armstrong).

Substitutes: Letheren, Piergianni, Armstrong, Maynard, Hughes, Whitehead.

Referee: Darren Handley

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account