Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Latics Progress Into The Next Round Of FA Cup

10 November 2019

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Latics Progress Into The Next Round Of FA Cup

10 November 2019

Latics overcame a potential banana skin by beating Gateshead 2-1 to make sure of their place in the second round of the Emirates FA Cup.

Goals from Filipe Morais and Jonny Smith on either side of a Liam Agnew leveller were enough to ensure Oldham saw of their National League North opponents.

It wasn’t an ideal start for Oldham as they were forced into an early substitution in the 12th minute, Christopher Missilou was replaced by Mohammed Maouche.

It was the hosts who came out of the blocks quickest and Latics stopper Zeus De La Paz was called into action in the 11th minute when Nicky Deverdics had a shot from range and then again in the 27th, De La Paz getting down well to save Greg Olley’s free kick.

Latics took the lead against the run of play, Tom Hamer’s long throw was flicked on to Filipe Morais who headed it past Brad James to open the scoring in the 28th minute.

Athletic came close to doubling the lead before the interval when Scott Wilson did well to get down to the by-line before pulling it back to Jonny Smith who saw his goalbound effort blocked by teammate Morais.

Dino Maamria’s side had the first chance of the second half than they did in the first and nearly doubled their advantage in the 51st minute. A smart corner from Jonny Smith found Chris McCann who saw his thumping effort expertly saved by Heed stopper Brad James.

De La Paz saved well from Olley to deny the hosts a leveller but he was left with no chance when Liam Agnew rifled home from outside of the box.

The equaliser shifted momentum as Gateshead began to dictate the play and would have taken the lead if it wasn’t for two brilliant saves from De La Paz in the 64th minute and Barrow went inches away from giving the Heed the lead in the 67th. He was called into action yet again in the 70th minute making a brilliant save from a one on one with Dominic Tear.

Latics weathered the storm in the best way possible, the visitors retook the lead in 77th mintute when Jonny Smith cut inside brilliantly before a cultured finish into the left corner of the Gateshead net.

It could have been game over in the 86th minute, Maouche found a way past Alex Nicholson but couldn’t find a way past James in the Gateshead goal.

Latics were able to hold on despite a few worrying moments towards the back end of the game including a heroic block by Jamie Stott and Olley dragging an effort wide from the edge of the box.

Oldham survived a goal mouth scramble in the sixth minute of time added on but held firm to ensure their place in the hat for the second round.

Gateshead 1-2 Oldham Athletic.

Attendance 2199 (Away 772).

Gateshead XI – James, Nicholson, Barrow ©, Deverdics, Lees, Nelson, Tear, Agnew, Kayode, Olley, O’Donnell.

Subs – Blackett, Guthrie, Forbes, OIiver, Preston.

Oldham Athletic XI – De La Paz, Iacovitti, Stott, Morais, Wilson, Missilou (Maouche 12’), McCann ©, Smith, Egert (Mills), Eagles (Sylla 60’), Hamer.

Subs – Woods, Maouche, Fage, Sylla, Emmerson, Adams, Mills.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account