Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Latics Leave Brunton Park Empty-Handed

Carlisle United 1-0 Oldham Athletic

28 September 2019

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Latics Leave Brunton Park Empty-Handed

Carlisle United 1-0 Oldham Athletic

28 September 2019

An early goal from Olufela Olomola was enough for the Cumbrians as Dino Maamria suffered his first defeat as Oldham Head Coach.

With the hosts not winning at home since the opening day of the season, Carlisle started to dispel that statistic as early as the second minute when Olufela Olomola put them ahead.

Nathan Thomas did extremely well to find McKirdy whose trickery created space for Olomola to run onto the ball in the box and neatly finish his effort into the corner.

Minutes later and the Cumbrians kept pushing forward. This time Woods who made a return in the Latics goal saved Olomola’s shot before Sagaf hit the rebound well over the crossbar.

Oldham responded with a number of half chances as the hosts sat deep, losing possession in the process.

The most notable effort came when at the third time of asking on the half-hour mark Morais’ cross found Branger at the back stick, his header trickling past Collin’s post after the home goalkeeper did well on previous attacks to divert the danger.

As a the opening 45 came to a close the lacklustre performance from both sides meant neither side created much with Carlisle defending more and preventing any threat Latics tried to create.

Unbeaten in four before this fixture, Maamria’s side came out brighter after the break.

A corner in the in the 47th minute found Morais at the back post, unmarked and with time he fired the ball back in on the ground, with Latics unable to direct it goalwards.

Seconds later and Maouche was given the ball in the box, unleashing an effort that skimmed past the post which would become Oldham’s best chance.

Steven Pressley’s team responded straight away, with the substitute Hallam Hope missing a glorious chance to double their lead after McKirdy laid the ball on a plate for the attacker before he guided it wide.

A double change for the away side tried to reinvigorate the side but it was Woods who denied Loft after Hamer was beaten on the 75th minute, with the Oldham goalkeeper gathering a scuffed Olomola shot minutes later.

As the game came to a close a Maouche free kick wasn’t met as it was invitingly placed towards the back post. With Missilou’s header collected by Collin from a Hamer long throw on the near side.

Sitting one place and one point above Latics before kick-off Carlisle held onto their lead and got that all-important victory.

Carlisle United: Collin (c), Elliott, Iredale, Thomas (45’ Hope), Jones, McKirdy (69’ Loft), Jones, Webster, Olomola, Knight-Percival, Sagaf.

Oldham Athletic: Woods, Mills, Iacovitti, Branger-Engone (73’ Fage), Morais (64’ Eagles), Maouche, Missilou, Azankpo (64’ Wilson), Sylla, Wheater (c), Hamer.

Attendance: 4,321 (516 Latics)

Referee: Marc Edwards

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account