Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Latics 0-1 Tranmere Rovers

1 December 2020

Match Reports

Latics 0-1 Tranmere Rovers

1 December 2020

A first half strike from the in-form James Vaughan saw Oldham suffer defeat against Tranmere Rovers.

Danny Rowe had the first shot of the game but unfortunately, he was unable to replicate his recent successes from range and Scott Davies was untroubled in the Tranmere goal.

In the seventh minute, the visitors had their first effort with centre back Manny Monthe carrying the ball forward before shooting powerfully over the bar from approximately 40 yards out.

Latics had the first real chance of the game in the 13th minute. Rowe fired a free-kick into the Rovers wall and the forward reacted well sending a quality ball into the box, which was met by the head of Ben Garrity, sending the ball narrowly wide of the post.

The Whites took the lead in the 27th minute, Vaughan got on the end of an inviting ball from Liam Feeney to head home his eighth league goal of the season.

He had a chance to double his tally not long later as Tranmere benefited from some sloppy play from the hosts, but Vaughan turned and shot over the bar.

Peter Clarke had the last chance of the half when Feeney picked him out, but he was unable to mark his return to Boundary Park with a goal.

After a slow start to the second half, it was Conor McAleny who had Oldham’s first effort on the Tranmere goal as he shot from range, but his effort was too close to Davies who was able to save comfortably.

Cameron Borthwick-Jackson had a chance to level the scoring in the 58th minute after his attempted cross took a deflection that put the ball back into the path of the full-back, but he sliced his eventual effort high and wide of the goal.

A curling free-kick from Feeney caused Latics some problems and would have doubled their advantage if it hadn’t been for a clearance from off the line.

Otis Khan had an opportunity to put the game to bed for the visitors as they countered well, Khan got the edge of the box before unleashing a shot that stung the gloves of Ian Lawlor.

Danny Lloyd went close to doubling his side's advantage and his low effort forced a smart save from the Oldham stopper.

Harry Kewell’s men struggled to find any rhythm to their game as they looked for an equaliser and Tranmere saw out the victory relatively comfortably.

Oldham Athletic XI: Lawlor (GK), Borthwick-Jackson, Piergianni ©, Diarra, Fage (Barnett, 79), Ntwambe (Whelan, 64), Keillor-Dunn (H. Clarke, 59), McCalmont, Garrity, McAleny, Rowe.

Subs: Bilboe (GK), H. Clarke, Jombati, Barnett, Hamer, Whelan, Grant.

Tranmere Rovers XI: Davies (GK) ©, O’Connor, P. Clarke, Monthe, Macdonald, Spearing, Lewis, Morris, Feeney (Khan, 74), Woolery (Lloyd, 39), Vaughan.

Subs: Murphy (GK), Ridehalgh, Nelson, Khan, Banks, Smith, Lloyd.

Goals – Vaughan (26)

Referee – Alan Young

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account