Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Cambridge United 1-2 Latics

5 December 2020

© Shutterstock
Match Reports

Cambridge United 1-2 Latics

5 December 2020

Second-half goals from Conor McAleny and Alfie McCalmont earned Latics a sixth straight away win with victory at Cambridge.

Harry Kewell’s side registered an excellent all-round performance to come away with maximum points from the Abbey Stadium, completing another fantastic display on the road.

McAleny and McCalmont both struck in the space of four minutes at the start of the period to secure the win in front of a home crowd who were allowed to return for the game.

Even in the first half, the visitors were superior and they should have taken the lead when Brice Ntambwe found the net with a low strike, his effort harshly being ruled out for off-side.

Bobby Grant saw an early effort blocked by defender Greg Taylor, while Dylan Fage did well to hold off the challenge of Harrison Dunk but could only place the ball wide when he had more time than perhaps he realised.

Grant also managed to get a shot away after a good break and cross from Cameron Borthwick-Jackson but Dimi Mitrov was equal to it. The Cambridge keeper also denied McCalmont as the ball sat up for him after Grant’s corner was cleared to the edge of the box.

Cambridge did have a flurry of pressure midway through the half and they had a golden chance take the lead three minutes before the interval.

The home side were awarded a penalty when Harry Clarke was deemed to have fouled Harvey Knibbs but Ian Lawlor produced a great save to keep our Paul Mullin’s spot-kick, reaching low to his left to turn the ball away.

It was almost as if that give Latics the impetus needed to secure the points because, within minutes of the re-start, they built a two-goal advantage.

McAleny continued his own superb individual run of form by putting Latics in front with a great half-volley from inside the area after Borthwick-Jackson bright the ball in from the left and an initial effort from McCalmont was blocked.

And it was McCalmont who completed the quick-fire double, sliding the ball home at the far post after Sido Jombati had touched the ball back from a Grant corner.

On as a substitute, Dylan Bahamboula found space on the edge of the area and dragged a shot wide, before later drilling a free-kick into the centre of the box which Jordan Barnett was inches away from connecting with.

Bahamboula also lined up a free-kick which was heading for the top corner, only for goalkeeper Mitrov to turn it away.

There was an air of assurance about Latics’ victory and even though Mullin’s stoppage-time strike - a fine finish after turning well in the area - ensured some late nerves, Kewell’s side headed home as worthy winners again.

Oldham Athletic: Lawlor, Clarke, Borthwick-Jackson, Jombati, Garrity, Grant, Fage (Whelan77), Ntambwe, McAleny (Barnett 77), Diarra, McCalmont (Bahamboula 66).

Subs not used: Bilboe, Rowe, Keillor-Dunn, Hamer.

Cambridge United: Mitov, Knoyle, Iredale (Hoolahan 66), Digby, Taylor, Hannant, Mullin, Dunk, Cundy, May (El Mizouni 75), Knibbs.

Subs not used: Burton, Darling, Dallas, Davies, El Mizouni, Worman.

Referee: Brett Huxtable

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account