Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Latics Pick Up Point Against Leyton Orient

Leyton Orient 2-2 Latics

22 February 2020

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Latics Pick Up Point Against Leyton Orient

Leyton Orient 2-2 Latics

22 February 2020

Zak Dearnley’s first half brace was cancelled out by Danny Johnson's goal as Latics have to settle for a hard earnt point at Brisbane Road.

The first chance landed for the hosts’ as Craig Clay found himself inside the 18-yard box before producing a low pass to Danny Johnson, but the forward couldn’t keep composed and he blasted wide of Gary Woods’ goal.

The game sprung into life in the 11th minute as Ousseynou Cisse rose the highest from a corner to head towards goal and even with Tom Hamer on the line, the ball still found the back of the net to give Leyton Orient the lead.

However, Latics responded immediately from a corner of their own as Carl Piergianni headed down towards goal and Dearnley was on hand to tap in on the line.

Dino Maamria’s side wasn’t finished there either and again from a corner, Oldham scored and took the lead as the delivery from the right found Dearnley and he managed to beat Vigouroux to get his and Latics second goal of the game.

Following this, Latics had a few half chances but both sides failed to create any chances of note before the interval. The closest either side came was when Dearnley worked hard to allow Danny Rowe the opportunity to strike at goal from the edge of the area, but his powerful effort went just over the bar.

The O’s started the second half brightly and in the 52nd minute, Ross Embleton’s side equalised as Christopher Missilou gave away a needless free-kick on the left-wing and the resulting free-kick was delivered to the back post. The ball was headed back across goal a tapped in by frontman Johnson.

Oldham thought they’d restored their lead just a few moments later as a long ball enter the box and Piergianni battled to win a header and it landed to captain David Wheater, he blasted past Lawrence Vigouroux, but the referee had already blown his whistle for a foul by Piergianni and the hosts’ had a free-kick.

Orient dominated the play for the rest of the second half but couldn’t quite find the finishing touch and break the Latics defence down.

There was nearly late drama for both sides as from a corner Rowe flicked a header towards goal which stung the palm hands of the goalkeeper before Wheater headed off the line in the last minute to keep his side in the contest.

This point is the first point Latics have picked up at Brisbane Road since December 2011.

Leyton Orient 2-2 Oldham Athletic.

Attendance 5,334 (522 Away).

Leyton Orient XI – Vigouroux, Coulson ©, Clay, Wilkinson (Sotiriou 53’), Marguire-Drew, Happe, Brophy, Marsh, Cisse, Johnson, Wright.

Subs – Sargeant, Widdowson, Dayton, Angol, Sotiriou, Kyprianou, Sweeney.

Oldham Athletic XI – Woods, Hamer, Wheater, Piergianni, Mills, Sylla, McCann, Missilou (Maouche 71’), Smith, Dearnley (Dieseruvwe 83’), Rowe.

Subs – De La Paz, Branger-Engone, Maouche, Nepomuceno, N’Guessan, Dieseruvwe, Borthwick-Jackson.

Referee – James Oldham.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account