Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Latics Suffer Defeat Against Cheltenham Town

4 January 2020

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Latics Suffer Defeat Against Cheltenham Town

4 January 2020

Latics are condemned to a third defeat in three games as goals from Max Sheaf, Alfie May and Ryan Broom wrapped up the three points for Cheltenham Town.

Latics started brightly and had a few half-chances in the opening ten minutes, the best effort of this period was by David Jones as he intercepted a ball inside the hosts’ half and played a one-two with Scott Wilson and shot from the edge of the area, but Scott Flinders was able to catch the strike.

Moments later, a clever piece of play by Cheltenham nearly saw the deadlock broken as Sheaf played a clever through ball to Tahvon Campbell and the striker put a low cross back to the Hull City loanee inside the box, but as he slid in he couldn’t keep his effort on target.

Michael Duff’s side continued to attack as central midfielder Chris Clement sprayed a fantastic long pass over to Ryan Broom on the right, the winger drove towards the goal before he blasted in the side netting.

In the 32nd minute, Cheltenham took the lead following good play by Campbell inside the box and he laid the ball off to Sheaf and as the midfielder ran onto the pass, he kept his cool to slot his strike into the top right corner.

Oldham nearly responded instantly as Gevaro Nepomuceno beat his man on the left-wing and delivered a cross into the box, Flinders could only punch the ball to Zak Mills and from the edge of the six-yard box, the right-back smashed his attempt over the crossbar.

The hosts’ had the ball in the ball in the back of the net again just before half time, as Latics goalkeeper De La Paz raced outside his area and miss kicked his clearance to debutant May and he slotted into an empty goal, but the referee already blew his whistle for handball.

Cheltenham continued the second half where they left off as May played the ball to Sheaf on the edge of the 18-yard box and the midfielder turned and had a shot towards goal, but his dipping strike went just wide of the post.

The start of the second half lacked any real clear-cut chances, the most promising moment for Latics was in the 64th minute as from a corner, Iacovitti leapt the highest but his header was blocked. The ball was eventually crossed back in and it found Jones in the corner of the box and his strike looked to be heading into the bottom left corner, but it was blocked by a defender.

The Robins sealed all three points in the 75th minute as Campbell slotted May in behind, Mills managed to tackle him, but it deflected off Wheater past De La Paz and May tapped it into an empty net to get his first goal for the club.

Cheltenham had their third in the 95th minute as Broom was allowed too much time inside the Latics area to produce a skilful turn and slot his effort into the corner past De La Paz.

Dino Maamria’s side couldn’t find a way back into the game which meant that Cheltenham managed to secure their first win over Latics since November 2008.

Cheltenham Town 3-0 Oldham Athletic

Attendance 3,029 (216 Away).

Cheltenham Town XI – Flinders (GK) (Lovett 62’), Hussey, Tozer, Raglan, Thomas, Clements, Campbell (Lloyd 88’), Broom, Sheaf (Long 85’), Greaves, May.

Subs – Lovett (GK), Long, Boyle, Debayo, Lloyd, Reilly, Ince.

Oldham Athletic XI – De La Paz (GK), Mills, Hamer, Wheater, Iacovitti (Eagles 67’), Nepomuceno, Sylla, Jones (Maouche 72’), Missilou (Branger-Engone 79’), Azankpo, Wilson.

Subs – Woods (GK), Fage, N’Guessan, Maouche, Branger-Engone, Eagles, Akpa-Akpro.

Referee – Brett Huxtable.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account