Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Latics Have To Settle For A Point At Moss Rose

11 January 2020

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Latics Have To Settle For A Point At Moss Rose

11 January 2020

Joe Ironside’s last-minute penalty ruled out Jonny Smith’s late goal as both sides settled for a point at Moss Rose.

After a quiet start to the game, Macclesfield nearly broke the deadlock in the 17th minute as a ball was played over the top to Ironside and he slotted the ball inside to Arthur Gnahoua and he was clean through, but he had a poor first touch before Gary Woods came out to deny the forward.

Latics’ best chance of the first half came when a free-kick from the halfway line found debutant Carl Piergianni inside the 18-yard box and he headed back across goal which resulted in a defender heading behind for a corner. The resulting corner landed at the Mohamad Sylla and his volley nearly dipped into the top corner, but the strike landed on the roof of Reice Charles-Cook’s net.

Moments later, Danny Whitaker’s side came close again as Gnahoua dribbled with the ball before cutting inside from the left and he released a strike on goal, but his effort smashed the post.

Just before the interval, a combination of Woods and Tom Hamer kept the scoreline goalless as Corey O’Keeffe found room inside the area, but the goalkeeper and right-back managed to block his attempt which was heading goalwards.

After half time, Oldham started brightly as Smith ran at the hosts’ defence before unleashing a low strike which cannoned off the post.

Dino Maamria’s side continued this dominant spell and from a corner, Hamer found himself free yards away from goal, but he couldn’t keep his shot down.

Latics took the lead in the 83rd minute as from a short corner Smith cut inside and his powerful strike was too strong for Charles-Cook and the visitors had the lead.

But in the 89th minute, Macclesfield attacked and had a header cleared off the line by David Wheater. Oldham thought they had got rid of the danger, however, the referee adjudged the centre-half the use of his hand and pointed to the spot, also showing Wheater a straight red card. Ironside stepped up and sent Woods the wrong way to rescue his side a point before the 10-men of Oldham saw out the eight minutes of stoppage time.

Macclesfield Town 1-1 Oldham Athletic.

Attendance 2205 (872 Away).

Macclesfield Town XI – Charles-Cook, McCourt, Kelleher, Gnahoua, Harris, Ironside, Welch-Hayes (Cameron 66’), Horsfall, Kirby (Blyth 80’), O’Keeffe, Fitzpatrick.

Subs – Clarke, Stephens, Archibald, Blyth, Rose, Cameron.

Oldham Athletic XI – Woods, Hamer, Piergianni, Wheater, Nepomuceno, Missilou (N’Guessan 72’), Jones (Maouche 80’), Sylla, Azankpo, Smith, Dieseruvwe (Wilson 47’).

Subs – De La Paz, Mills, Maouche, Wilson, Fage, N’Guessan, Egert.

Referee – Peter Wright.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account