Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Latics Academy 0-1 Lincoln City

18 November 2020

The young Latics were knocked out of the Second Round of the FA Youth Cup for a second successive time after a 1-0 defeat to Lincoln City on a cold evening at Boundary Park.

After a 2-0 away win against Lincoln last month in the EFL Youth Alliance Cup, the U18s couldn't repeat this feat against the Imps.

Selim Benachour’s side made a strong start to the game despite injuries to attacking options Isaac Modi and long-term absentee Jack Williams.

Carrying the majority of the possession in the opening 20 minutes the first chance of the game came from a quick Oldham break, with Badby cutting it back in the area to Simms, his effort going well over though from close range. 

Lincoln struggled to cope with Latics high press but took their opportunities when they came, scoring the crucial first goal of the game came in the 25th minute with Tetlow heading the ball in from a deep Odokonyero free kick that looked to get a deflection at the final moment before bouncing over the line.

Latics didn't let the goal hinder their performance as they continued to attack the game with high intensity, leading to the best chance of the first-half as Ben Hough sent a cracking cross-field pass into Benny Cuoto, who hit a fierce left footed strike at the first time of asking which was kept out by Long down at his near post.

An early tactical change in the first-half saw Vani Da Silva replaced by Callum Speed which allowed the team to continue their confident performance and limit Lincoln's attacking chances. However, the boys in blue still went into the next 45 a goal down. 

Oldham got off to a blistering start in the second-half creating a chance early on as Higgins sent a sweeping cross to the far post for Callum Speed who hit a shot which got blocked. Lincoln soon picked up some momentum creating consecutive chances but they just couldn't find the back of the net on the counter through their attacking threats who held the ball well in the final third. 

Back and forth action continued throughout as both sides looked to find the important next goal that never came, but it led to chances in what was a fairly even but cautious contest.

Latics nearly drew level towards the end with Oseh hitting a shot over the bar after receiving the ball from Couto's rehearsed free-kick routine which was soon followed up by another missed chance by the provider himself.

In the dying embers of the game, the youngsters gave it their all to try and find their way back into the game but it just wasn’t meant to be meaning it would ultimately be a frustrating performance and a result that sees Lincoln City host Preston North End in the next round. 

Oldham Athletic – Chapman (GK), Higgins (66’), Sutton ©, Baker, Couto, Oseh, Hough (78’), Da Silva (36’), Vaughan, Badby, Simms

Subs – Luamba (66’), Edwards (78’), Speed (36’), Hemmingsen, Turner, Hughes, Danielewicz

Lincoln City – Long (GK), Al-Oyouni, Tear, Cann, Tetlow, Mussell, Brooks, Sault (52’), Draper, Makama, Odokonyero

Subs – Deane, Green, Hilton, Angol, Carroll, Jones (52’)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account