Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Stevenage 3-0 Latics

19 September 2020

Stevenage condemned Latics to their second league defeat of the season following second-half goals from Elliot Osborne, Luther James-Wildin and Luke Prosser.

To add to the misery, just ahead of kick-off in the warm-up striker Zak Dearnley pulled up with a groin strain meaning a late change had to be made. His direct replacement would be Danny Rowe who got the nod to partner McAleny up top.

The hosts started the clash brightly though having the first two major chances, the first arrived after a sloppy pass by Callum Whelan was intercepted just outside the area before the ball was laid off to Osbourne, but his low strike went past the post.

Just moments later, a cross from the right-hand side found Danny Newton free at the back post and he struck it first time, but Latics shot-stopper Ian Lawlor showed impressive reflexes to deny the forward.

Harry Kewell’s side grew into the game and their first opportunity came as Conor McAleny found space at the back post, but he flicked his effort wide of Jamie Cumming’s goal.

In the 31st minute, Whelan played a clever ball out wide to Tom Hamer and the onrushing right-back produced a dangerous low cross which found Davis Keillor-Dunn on the edge of the six-yard box, but he couldn’t find space to let loose.

Lawlor was called into action just before the half-time whistle as the ball rolled to Arthur Read around 25-yards away from goal and got his over the ball to blast an effort on goal, but the goalkeeper got up well to tip the strike over for a corner-kick.

Boro were fast out of the blocks in the second period as Read delivered a free-kick from the right-hand side and it landed perfectly on the head of central defender Prosser, but his header just couldn’t find its way into the back of the net.

However, Alex Revell’s side broke the deadlock in the 60th minute as the pacey Elliot List raced down the right-wing to the byline before finding Osborne with a low cross and the midfielder stayed composed to slot past Lawlor with a first-time strike.

Shortly after, the referee pointed to the spot as skipper Carl Piergianni brought Scott Cuthbert down inside the area from a corner. Inih Effiong, who scored a penalty last weekend on his debut, was denied from 12-yards by Lawlor.

The hosts doubled their lead just minutes after missing the penalty when the ball came to James-Wildin inside the box and his strike deflected off an Oldham defender, looped over the goalkeeper and hit the back of the net.

Latics tried to find a way back into the game as McAleny blasted an effort from range which dipped at the perfect time, but Cumming managed to get a hand onto it.

Stevenage sealed their first home win at the Broadhall Way since October 2019 as Prosser got up highest from a corner and powerfully directed his close range header into the goal.

Oldham looked to pull a goal back but couldn’t break down Boro’s backline meaning that this is the first time since December 2017 that Latics have failed to score in three consecutive games.

Stevenage XI – Cumming (GK), James-Wildin, Cuthbert ©, Prosser, Osborne, Effiong (Marsh 79’), Newton, Hutton, List, Read (Vincelot 77’), Smith (Marshall 86’).

Subs – Johnson (GK), Vancooten, Akinwande, Dinanga.

Goals: Osborne 60’, James-Wildin 64’, Prosser 82’

Oldham Athletic XI – Lawlor (GK), Hamer, Jombati, Piergianni ©, Borthwick-Jackson (Badan 64’), Garrity, Whelan, Grant, Keillor-Dunn, McAleny, Rowe.

Subs – Woods (GK), Barnett, Fage, Blackwood, Da Silva.

Referee – Charles Breakspear.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account