Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Latics 1-2 Grimsby Town

24 April 2021

© Eddie Garvey
Match Reports

Latics 1-2 Grimsby Town

24 April 2021

Grimsby Town came from behind to claim three big points in their battle to stay in Sky Bet League Two.

Conor McAleny put Oldham into the lead on the half hour mark but goals from Matt Green and Jay Matete saw the Mariners win 2-1.

Latics’ attacking intent was shown as early as the third minute with McAleny and Nicky Adams linking up well before the latter sent a dangerous cross into the Grimsby box that was nearly turned in by Town defender Luke Waterfall.

It wasn’t long before James McKeown was called into action again with Callum Whelan stinging the gloves of the stopper after cutting inside well on the edge of the box.

The visitors had their first sight on goal with a free-kick from just outside the area after Kyle Jameson had committed a foul but the Latics wall stood strong to deny the Mariners.

The free-scoring McAleny had another opportunity in the 24th minute as Latics were quick to break. He attempted to find the top right-hand corner, but his curling effort had too much on it to trouble McKeown.

The forward did get the opening goal on the half hour mark after Alfie McCalmont did well to capitalise on an error from Matete and won the ball back before playing a perfect through ball to McAleny who cooly slotted home his 21st of the season.

Against the run of play, Grimsby found themselves level six minutes later with Matt Green, who was late addition to the starting 11 getting a shot in from the left-hand side that bounced awkwardly in front of Laurie Walker on its way into the corner of the net.

It was the Mariners who started the second half better and a smart free-kick routine by Matete and Green forced a corner. The resulting corner was headed clear by Piergianni but only as far as Harry Clifton who unleased a powerful effort, forcing a smart save from Walker.

With a win necessary to keep their survival hopes alive, Grimsby continued their positive start to the second half with Clifton finding Lenell John-Lewis in the middle of the box and the striker was disappointed to see his header fly over the cbar.

Latics showed that they were still very much of a threat going forward just minutes later with Marcus Barnes having an immediate impact jinking his way into the Grimsby box and he nearly picked Adams up at the back post, but a good bit of defending kept the scores level.

The Mariners missed a glorious opportunity to take the lead in the 63rd minute with John-Lewis expertly teeing up Luke Spokes who put his effort wide of the mark.

The visitors got the goal that their second half performance deserved, and it was an absolute beauty, Matete drove through the Latics defence before unleashing an unstoppable finish into the roof of the net.

There were bizarre scenes at Boundary Park with Grimsby’s match winner Matete was shown two quick fire yellow cards but the referees assistant and fourth official informed Alan Young that he had got the wrong man and the red card was correctly rescinded.

The game had a real end of season feel to it and Latics were unable to build up enough steam to find themselves a way back into the game with a deflected McAleny header the closest they got to restoring parity and Marcel Hilssner sending his late free-kick over the bar.

The result keeps Grimsby’s survival hopes alive with Tranmere Rovers doing them a big favour by beating Barrow 1-0.

Oldham Athletic – Walker, Clarke, Borthwick-Jackson, Piergianni ©, Whelan (Garrity, 57'), Keillor-Dunn (Hilssner, 57'), Jameson (Fage, 70'), McAleny, Adams, Bahamboula (Barnes, 57'), McCalmont

Substitutes: Bilboe, Badan.

Goal: McAleny (30)

Grimsby Town – McKeown, Waterfall, Coke, Green (Jackson 92'), Spokes, Clifton, Matete, John-Lewis, Hewitt, Menayese, Khouri.

Substitutes: Eastwood, Scannell Adlard, Lamy.

Goals: Green (36), Matete (80)

Referee: Alan Young

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account