Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Barrow 0-0 Latics

29 December 2021

© Eddie Garvey

The final game of the calendar year ended in stalemate for Latics as they were unable to find a way to goal at Barrow.

Although Selim Benachour’s side will reflect on a number of chances in the opening stages, they struggled for meaningful opportunities and lacked a cutting edge at Holker Street.

The Interim Head Coach reflected on a solid all-round performance to earn a clean sheet but the visitors could not make a meaningful impression in attack.

Benachour made five changes from the Boxing Day game against Scunthorpe, as Sam Hart, Jordan Charle and Harrison McGahey returned to a reshaped back-line, while Davis Keillor-Dunn and Jamie Hopcutt featured in attack.

Latics created the clearest chances throughout the first half whilst carrying a threat from wide areas but they were unable to capitalise.

Keillor-Dunn had two sights of goal, shooting wide from Clarke’s cross before cleverly creating space on the left and sending in a dangerous effort which was gathered by Farman.

The attacking midfielder also had a shot blocked by Conor Brown after receiving a cross from Nicky Adams as Latics continued their bright start but failed to build on that promise.

Latics breathed two sighs of relief midway through the half. They had Jayson Leutwiler to thank for a superb show of agility, the goalkeeper readjusting himself to touch wide a low drive from Mike Jones as his effort took a deflection on its way towards goal.

And then it was the turn of Piergianni to make a crucial intervention, scraping the ball off the goal-line after a towering header at the far post from Patrick Brough, who climbed highest to connect with a Jordan Stevens cross.

By the time the second half started, the home side had started to have a greater share of the territory but Latics continued to carry most of the danger.

From a free-kick won by the perseverance of Sam Hart with a charging run down the left, Adams sent in an inviting delivery which Piergianni reached, only to glance a header wide.

Minutes later, Adams went for goal with a free-kick from 35 yards but a deflection took his effort away from the target.

As the game started to open up, substitute Ozzy Zanzala shot wide before Leutwiler got down low again to turn the ball away after a scramble in the Latics box.

In an effort to re-establish Latics’ attacking threat, Benachour introduced Jamie Bowden and Jack Stobbs from the bench.

The visitors broke dangerously through Clarke, who raced away down the right before finding Hallam Hope. The striker found the angle for a shot but his curling effort went just past the far post.

Although Whelan had a sight of goal with the second ball from an Adams free-kick, the visitors were unable to apply the late pressure that was needed.


Oldham Athletic: Leutwiler, Clarke, Hart, McGahey, Piergianni, Adams, Whelan, Hope, Keillor-Dunn (Stobbs 80), Diarra (Couto 90), Hopcutt (Bowden 70).

Subs not used: Rogers, Vaughan, Bahamboula, Luamba.

Barrow: Farman, Brown, Brough, Platt, Jones (Zanzala 46), Gordon, White, Gotts (Beadling 72), Grayson (Kay 46), Arthur, Stevens.

Subs not used: Lillis, Ellis, Hutton.

Referee: Ben Speedie

Attendance: 3,495 (466 away).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account