Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Carlisle United 1-3 Latics

27 February 2021

© Eddie Garvey
Match Reports

Carlisle United 1-3 Latics

27 February 2021

Latics scored three times to complete a sensational second-half comeback and claim maximum points at Carlisle United.

Marcel Hilssner, Dylan Bahambolula and Carl Piergianni were all on target as Harry Kewell’s side overturned a half-time deficit in memorable fashion at Brunton Park.

Having conceded late in the first period to Josh Kayode, Latics’ comeback began with 19 minutes remaining, Hilssner converting coolly from the penalty spot before the visitors staged a grandstand finish.

Kewell made three changes from Tuesday, including two in defence with Cameron Borthwick-Jackson and Raphael Diarra returning to the team, while Bobby Grant led the forward line.

The hosts were quickest to settle, Ian Lawlor turning over a drive from Kayode and the keeper was also alert to deny Aaron Hayden’s header.

Although Carlisle had the lion’s share of the first-half possession, chances were at a premium. David Keillor-Dunn headed wide from a Bahamboula cross and that represented a rare early chance for the visitors.

Carlisle went ahead ten minutes before the interval, Kayode heading home from a corner and although Conor McAleny did well to create an opening before the interval, Latics went into the break behind.

Oldham started the second period with intent, Hilssner going close with a drive from distance as the visitors gradually found their way back into the game.

Their encouraging play was rewarded when one of a number of teasing crosses from Nick Adams was judged to have struck the hand of Rhys Bennett. It allowed Hilssner to convert a nerveless spot-kick, giving Latics the platform to complete the turnaround.

Having scored in remarkable fashion at Tranmere Rovers, Bahamboula struck for the second successive weekend, unleashing a fantastic curling effort which flew beyond the reach of goalkeeper Paul Farman.

And Piergianni, on as a half-time substitute put the icing on the cake by powering home a header from an Adams corner, completing another remarkable comeback over a frantic 15-minute spell.

Oldham Athletic: Lawlor, Clarke, Borthwick-Jackson (Jameson 66), Keillor-Dunn, Grant, McAleny (Blackwood 46), Hilssner (Fage 76), Diarra (Piergianni 46), Adams, Bahamboula, McCalmont.

Subs not used: Bilboe, Whelan, Vaughan.

Carlisle United: Farman, Tanner, Anderton, Hayden, Riley (Alessandra 87), Guy, Patrick (Dickenson 66), Mellish, Kayode, Toure (Zanzala 81), Bennett.

Subs not used: Norman, McDonald, Furman, Scott.

Referee: Carl Boyeson

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account