Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Latics 2-4 Cambridge United

13 March 2021

© Eddie Garvey
Match Reports

Latics 2-4 Cambridge United

13 March 2021

Latics found themselves 2-0 up after eleven minutes, but promotion-chasing Cambridge manage to comeback to earn all three points.

Keith Curle made two changes for his first game in charge of Latics at Boundary Park with Ian Lawlor picking up an injury in training meaning Laurie Walker arrived on an emergency loan from Sky Bet League One side MK Dons to make his first EFL appearance. Also, after an impressive appearance off the bench in midweek, Dylan Fage returned to the side replacing Dylan Bahamboula.

Latics couldn’t have had a better to the clash as just after three minutes Davis Keillor-Dunn put his side ahead. The midfielder found himself with a lot of time whilst one-on-one with the goalkeeper and he confidently took the ball around Callum Burton before tapping into an empty net.

Shortly after, he doubled his and his side’s tally after great play down the right-wing from Nicky Adams and Marcel Hilssner resulted in the right-wing back crossing into the path of Keillor-Dunn and he managed to flick past the shot-stopper.

Mark Bonner’s side began to grow into the game and forced an excellent save from Walker when Paul Mullin blasted an effort, that looked destined for the bottom corner, on goal but the debutant got down well to keep him out.

However, the U’s managed to pull a goal back as Rapahel Diarra brought Greg Taylor down inside the box and earned his side a penalty. Mullin stepped up and smashed his penalty down the middle to equal a Cambridge club-record for individual goals in a single season.

Following that, the visitors were level as left-back Jack Iredale raced forward and tried his luck from the edge of the area which took a deflection to beat Walker, leaving him with no chance.

In additional time in the first-half, the Yellows were ahead as they produced a fantastic footballing move which resulted in Mullin back heeling to Iredale and his powerful effort found the far corner for his second of the game.

The second-half didn’t get going until the 68th minute when Andrea Badan powered his way into the Cambridge box before being brought down and Brett Huxtable pointed to the spot. Initially, substitute Bobby Grant picked up the ball, but after a discussion, he gave the ball to Keillor-Dunn for a chance of a hat-trick. However, the midfielder was denied by the goalkeeper.

The visitors extended their lead just minutes later as substitute Luke Hannant swung a corner straight into the goal from the left, however, it might’ve had an helping hand from Walker before going into the back of the net.

Latics looked to get back into the game but couldn’t find a way past the Cambridge backline as Curle tastes defeat on his Boundary Park debut.

Oldham Athletic XI – Walker (GK), Adams ©, Diarra, Piergianni, Badan, Fage, Ntambwe, McCalmont, Hilssner (Bahaboula 59’), Keillor-Dunn (Tasdemir 81’), McAleny (Grant 59’).

Subs – Bilboe (GK), Whelan, Da Silva, Sutton.

Goals: Keillor-Dunn 3’, 11’

Cambridge United XI – Burton (GK), Knoyle, Iredale, Digby, Taylor ©, Drysdale, O’Neil (Boateng 64’), Mullin (May 86’), Hoolahan, Alese (Hannant 64’), Ironside.

Subs – McKenzie-Lyle (GK), Okedina, Tracey, Worman.

Goals: Mullin pen 25’, Iredale 36’, 45+2’, Hannant 73’

Referee – Brett Huxtable

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account