Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Ipswich Town 1-1 Latics

6 November 2021

© Eddie Garvey
Match Reports

Ipswich Town 1-1 Latics

6 November 2021

A sublime strike from Davis Keillor-Dunn saw Latics battle back to earn an Emirates FA Cup first round replay against higher-ranked opposition at Portman Road.

Keillor-Dunn found the goal in delightful fashion late in the first half to cap a superb team showing from Keith Curle’s side against Ipswich Town.

The attacker underlined his status as the man for the big occasion with another moment of brilliance, although Oldham will have left Suffolk in the knowledge that their reward could have been greater.

In terms of chances and on the balance of play, Latics were the superior side, with Dylan Bahamboula unable to convert a penalty shortly after the break as the visitors proved more than a match for the side from Sky Bet League One.

It means both teams will share ball number 26 in the draw for the second round on ITV on Monday evening.

Having recovered well from the concession of an early goal to emerge as the stronger side, Latics went in deservedly level at the break.

Keillor-Dunn equalised four minutes before the break, advancing to the edge of the Ipswich area before bending a sumptuous effort past the reach of Christian Walton and inside the far post.

Having become increasingly assertive during the opening half, it was a goal fully merited by Latics, who had started to create several chances.

Carl Piergianni’s header was deflected just wide from a fine Benny Couto cross and the visitors went close again minutes later, Jamie Bowden picking out Dylan Bahamboula, whose low effort trickled past the post.

And once level, Latics could have scored again in added time, Keillor-Dunn looking to release Jordan Clarke at the end of a sharp move, only for Cameron Burgess to make a block as the central defender was about to pull the trigger.

It had been a disappointing start for Curle’s side, Wes Burns firing a shot home from the centre of the Latics area after an initial effort from Macauley Bonne.

The hosts then threatened to take control, George Edmundson going close after a corner from Lee Evans who later had a free-kick blocked by Couto.

Jayson Leutwiler also saved from Bersant Celina, but Latics started to emerge as a force, Hallam Hope glancing a header wide before an effort from Bahamboula.

Having equalised in fantastic fashion, Latics started the second half where they had left off but were unable to take a golden chance eight minutes after the re-start.

Bahamboula saw a penalty clawed away by goalkeeper Walton, diving at full stretch to his right, the Congo international had his shirt tugged at a set-piece.

Latics continued to present danger on the break throughout the half, Hope and Whelan linking well before substitute Harry Vaughan almost combined with Hope but the visitors were unable to capitalise.

Leutwiler adjusted well to save with his feet from Conor Chaplin but the fact that the Latics ‘keeper had little to do was testament to a battling performance which deservedly earned a replay.


Oldham Athletic: Leutwiler Clarke, McGahey, Piergianni, Whelan, Hope, Keillor-Dunn, Fage (Adams 87), Bowden, Bahamboula (Vaughan 79), Couto.

Subs not used: Southerington, Dearnley, Da Silva, Diarra, Modi.

Ipswich Town: Walton, Edmundson, Burns (Aluko 83), Evans (Harper 83), Bonne, Nsiala, Vincent-Young (Donacien 46), Burgess (Penny 46), Edwards (Chaplin 53), Celina, Morsey.

Subs not used: Hladky, Pigott, Fraser, El Mizouni.

Referee: Neil Hair

Attendance: 8,845 (437 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account