Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Mansfield Town 0-0 Latics

9 October 2021

© Eddie Garvey
Match Reports

Mansfield Town 0-0 Latics

9 October 2021

Latics were unable to find a way through as they played out a goalless draw to earn a point at Mansfield.

In a game that saw chances at both ends, neither side could muster a cutting edge, although Keith Curle’s side will reflect on a number of good opportunities to have claimed maximum points.

Having created a host of chances at the end of the first half before also starting well after the break, Latics certainly had their moments, although goalkeeper Jayson Leutwiler was also needed to make two important saves as the game went on.

A third clean sheet in four Sky Bet League Two outings was reward for a solid defensive showing from the visitors as they search for greater consistency in results.

Curle made three changes from the previous weekend against Harrogate, Zak Dearnley leading the forward line on his first league start of the season, while Benny Couto returned from illness and Jmaie Bowden started in midfield.

The first period was punctured by a 12-minute stoppage due to an injury sustained by Mansfield midfielder George Maris following a clash of heads with his team-mate, James Clarke.

The home side had started with intent, Danny Johnson sending a shot wide after a run down the left from Stephen McLaughlin, who also drilled a free-kick wide.

Mansfield appeared to be gaining a foothold when Maris was forced off on a stretcher and although his replacement, Rhys Oates, later dragged an effort wide, Latics grew into the half as it progressed.

By the time the interval approached, the visitors had created enough chances to have warranted a lead.

Harrison McGahey came within inches as he smashed an effort onto the crossbar after Carl Piergianni got his head to a corner from Jamie Bowden at the far post.

And further chances followed in the extended period of added time with Couto central to everything Latics did well.

He cut the ball back for Dylan Bahamboula to shoot over, before his long throw-in reached Piergianni, who brought a good stop from goalkeeper Nathan Bishop.

18-year-old Couto then released a superb pass to spot the run of Dearnley. He raced into the box, only to be denied by Bishop and Davis Keillor-Dunn was unable to adjust himself to make the most of the rebound.

The visitors also started well after the break with another chance for Keillor-Dunn, while Dearnley linked well with Jamie Bowden and Bahamboula showed great footwork to enter the area as Latics produced some promising approach work without capitalising.

Latics had Leutwiler to thank with a good low stop from George Lapslie and the goalkeeper got down low again with nine minutes to play, producing s sharp save to turn away Harry Charsley’s drive.

The visitors were not as effective as the second half progressed but kept a good shape and dug deep when needed to ensure they left with a point.


Oldham Athletic: Leutwiler, Clarke, McGahey, Piergianni, Whelan, Keillor-Dunn, Dearnley (Bettache 85), Stobbs, Bowden, Bahamboula (Hope 85), Couto.

Subs not used: Rogers, Fage, Da Silva, Diarra, Sheehan.

Mansfield Town: Bishop, McLaughlin, Hewitt, Charsley, O Clarke (Ward 60), Bowery, Maris (Oates 25), Johnson, Hawkins (Burke 46), J Clarke, Lapslie.

Subs not used: Shelvey, Forrester, Law, Gale.

Referee: Craig Hicks

Attendance: 4,526 (496 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account