Oldham Athletic AFC are looking to recruit, due to an internal promotion, a full-time Head of Sports Science & Medical to work within our Category 3 Licenced Academy programme.
This role will provide medical care for Professional Development Phase (PDP) players within the Academy, including Medical, Cardiac screening, Orthopaedic and Anthropometric assessments as outlined in EPPP guidelines and the Academy Performance Plan.
They will be responsible for the day-to-day delivery of assessments, treatments and rehabilitation of injured players within the PDP.
Additionally, the role holder will provide cover on U18 (Youth Team) Match Days within to include pre-match preparation, pitch side management & post-match aftercare. They will also be required to work across the Player Performance Pathway (to include the Foundation and Youth Development Phases) if required.
This role is open to a person who has recently graduated.
The roles and responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Maintain a high standard of medical care to all PDP Academy players
- Be a member of the Academy Management Team (AMT)
- Liaise with the Head Physiotherapist, Academy Manager, Academy Sports Science, Academy Doctor, Lead Strength and Conditioning Coach, U18 Team Manager’s as relevant with regards to injuries and development of injury prevention strategies.
- Ensure all PDP clinics and Academy matches are adequately covered with suitably qualified medical staff regarding EPPP Guidelines.
- Provide support to the Academy Physiotherapists with the assessment and treatment of Schoolboy injuries.
- Maintain the player administration and attendance registers of players undergoing treatment in line with Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP)
- Manage the FA Anti-Doping procedure in line with Regulations To ensure compulsory cardiac screening is completed and data uploaded to PMA via PFS for all required academy players.
- Utilise screening data and injury history to produce individual injury reduction programs updated 6 weekly and where relevant produce daily pre-training programs for U18 players.
- To be responsible for the preparation and regular updating of confidential comprehensive medical records for the treatment of all players and liaison with other members of staff where relevant.
- To be responsible for the management of injured players and to make appropriate referrals on to the correct medial professional/s for any further medical attention required for PDP players.
- To ensure that the Academy PMA is up to date daily in connection to the CSP guidelines
- To conduct any pre-signing medicals and relevant investigations are conducted for U18 players.
- To assist Sports Science Team in delivering weekly gym sessions.
- To organise and contribute to a regular in-service program within the part-time medical and full-time sports science department.
- Recruit and appoint all required part-time Academy Physios for U9-U16 fixtures.
- Act as deputy physio to the First Team where required.
- Ensure all relevant training is completed to remain up to date with Sports Medicine and attend required training courses.
- Any other duties as required and directed by the Owner, Head Physiotherapist or Academy Manager.
Skills and Experience Required
- Completed BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy Degree (CSP, HPC registered)
- First aid qualified
- EMFAiF First Aid Qualification Level 3 (in date)
- ATMMiF first aid course qualification Level 4 (in date)
- Self-motivated and committed.
- A strategic planner, organiser and co-ordinator.
- Excellent IT, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience of working within the football environment.
- Driving license and own transport.
- Advanced pitch side trauma training ATMMIF (AREA) Level 5
- Hands on / Previous pitch side or Paediatric / Academy game day and training setting experience
- Experience of working in a sporting multifaceted / interdisciplinary team
- FA Safeguarding Children Workshop certificate (in date)
- Knowledge / Experience of injury prevention strategies across all Academy Teams
- Knowledge / Experience of fitness testing / monitoring / recording
To ensure compliance with the company’s safeguarding policy a relevant FA DBS certificate will be a requirement for this role before starting work
Oldham Athletic AFC promotes inclusion and confront and eliminate discrimination whether by reason of age, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marital status or civil partnership, nationality, ethnicity (race), religion or belief, ability or disability, pregnancy and maternity and encourage equal opportunities. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons
How to apply
To apply please provide your CV (with two independent references) plus a covering letter detailing why you would be the ideal candidate for the role, your previous experience and salary expectations to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is Monday 8 January 2023. All interviews will be at the earliest available opportunity. The volume of applications received prevents us from being able to acknowledge every application received or to provide feedback at the short-listing stage. Only those selected for interview will be contacted.