Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Latics 1-1 Dagenham

7 October 2023

Club News

Latics 1-1 Dagenham

7 October 2023

Oldham continued their unbeaten run with a 1-1 draw at home to Dagenham & Redbridge.

Latics took the lead early on with a bit of a freak goal, when Norwood got the final touch on Lundstram’s shot-turn-pass.

Oldham continued their attacking intensity, looking for a second goal, but just couldn’t find it.

As the second-half progressed, Dagenham grew into the game, and got their equaliser when Josh Rees’ header beat Hudson.

Steve Thompson’s side threw everything at the visitors in the closing stages, but just couldn’t find a winner.

Latics had a chance within 20 seconds of the game beginning, the ball fell invitingly to Sutton just outside the box, but his half-volley failed to trouble Justham in goal.

Devarn looked for Norwood and Reid with a cross from the wing, but it was turned behind for a corner.

And it was that corner which spawned the opening goal, Lundstram was left unmarked outside the box, Brennan played the ball to him, Josh played a pass or perhaps a weak shot into the box, which James Norwood got the final touch of.

With a goal under their belt, Oldham looked for a second. Reid had a golden chance when Norwood looked to turn provider with a nice ball over the top, Reid ran onto it, beat the defence for pace, but couldn’t find the target when one-on-one with the goalie.

Brennan was found by Kitching with a nice cross, he met it well, but his header was saved by Justham, and that capped off what was a fantastic opening 20 minutes or so for Latics.

Dagenham came into the game a little after that, but the remainder of the first-half, didn’t create any clear-cut chances, apart from Josh Rees’ effort.

Rees received the ball inside the area just to the right of the goal, he looked to beat Hudson at the near bottom corner, but Mat got down well to palm it away.

Moving into the second-half, Thompson opted to make two changes up to within ten minutes of the restart, Fondop and Willoughby came on in place of Reid and Dickenson.

Mikey proved a real handful for the Dagenham centre-backs, using his power and muscle to out-battle them.

Nothing exemplified that more when he powered forward, shrugging off attempts to dispossess him, unleashing a shot, which was blocked but returned to him, before continuing to advance forward, seeing another shot go wide.

He was then used by Norwood to play a one-two, with James moving into the box, but he tripped over the ball in what was a fantastic shooting position.

Norwood had a golden chance to double the lead for Latics, he was picked out by Kitching inside the box, had a free header, but could only divert his header just wide of the post.

Dagenham certainly made a better account of themselves in the second half, and it was no surprise when they got their equaliser.

Kendall’s cross was calling for Rees, who nodded the ball into the far corner with just underside 20 to go.

Athletic fans’ hearts were in their mouths when Kendall zipped the ball across the face of goal, but thankfully there wasn’t a Dagenham shirt to meet it.

Momentum was with Latics as the clock ticked over into stoppage time, but despite a lot of crosses and passes, the best chance came when a ball was chipped across goal to Fondop at the far post, whose header was chipped wide.

Oldham: Hudson, Kitching, Hogan, Hobson, Lundstram, Sheron (Shelton, 75’), Green, Sutton, Dickenson (Willoughby, 59’), Reid (Fondop, 52’), Norwood.

Attendance: 6,465 (58)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account