Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Latics 2-2 Altrincham

28 October 2023

Match Reports

Latics 2-2 Altrincham

28 October 2023

Latics had to settle for a point at Boundary Park, having to come from behind twice either side of the half.

The opening 15 minutes were mesmerising by Micky Mellon’s side, who went forward with attack after attack, and arguably should have been two up by the time Alty took the lead.

Chris Conn-Clarke picked out Justin Amaluzor inside the box, who headed past Hudson to give them the lead.

Norwood equalised from close-range, which was the least Oldham deserved, before Altrincham were controversially handed a penalty for an alleged Hallam Hope handball.

Latics had to battle for an equailser, but got it when Sheron, for the second time in a week, found the goal with a powerful shot from outside the box.

Oldham had the chance to win it when Norwood received possession of the ball inside the box, but he couldn’t get the ball from under his feet to get a shot off, and the chance faded away.

Athletic were dominant in the opening stages of the game, with the first major chance coming three minutes into the game.

Lundstram intercepted a pass from his former side, advancing forward before giving possession to Green. He was denied by Ethan Ross in between the sticks, parrying the ball to Hallam Hope who probably should have scored, but put it over the bar.

Kieron Freeman, returning to the side for the first time in two months, unlocked Green down the right wing, Devarn fired a cross in, but couldn’t pick out a Latics shirt.

Nuttall threw himself at one of Kitching’s trademark crosses, and was close to making contact, but couldn’t from a handful of yards out.

Then Altrincham’s goal came, massively against the run of play, Amaluzor headed home from Conn-Clarke’s cross, giving Hudson no chance.

McGahey - as he did in the FA Cup fixture two weeks ago - saw a powerful shot denied after the ball fell to him invitingly, as Oldham looked for an equaliser.

They did find an equaliser though, and it came as Freeman and Norwood calmly passed the ball between each other down the right handside, before Norwood nonchalantly punted the ball into the roof of the net.

All that work was undone by the officials, who awarded Altrincham a penalty for an apparent handball by Hope inside the area, as he slid in to make a tackle.

Conn-Clarke stepped up, and cockilly placed the ball in the bottom corner. He was involved during second-half stoppage time, as he stood over an inviting free-kick, but Hudson did well to tip it over the bar.

The second half was tougher for Latics, compared to the first, Alty were harder to break down and were happy to slow the game down.

Moving through the second 45, Mellon saw fit to introduce some fresh legs up top, bringing on Reid for Nuttall with 30 minutes to play.

Hallam Hope looked to emulate his antics of a week ago, cutting in from the left and going for the far corner with a curling effort, but this time it went just wide of the post.

Green’s chipped shot fell to Norwood at the far post, but under the pressure of the Altrincham defence, heading over.

With then minutes to go, it was all Latics, and an equaliser was the least that they deserved.

Green nodded the ball back to the midfield, Norwood brought it under control as he gave it to Lundstram, before he laid it off for Sheron. Nathan took a touch, and picked out the top corner with a powerful shot.

Oldham will take a point, but will believe that they should have all three.

Oldham: Hudson, Ktiching, Hobson, Lundstram, Nuttall (Reid, 59’), Sheron, Green, McGahey, Hope, Freeman, Norwood.

Subs not used: Norman, Shelton, Fondop, Raglan.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account