Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Halifax 2-2 Latics

18 April 2024

Match Reports

Halifax 2-2 Latics

18 April 2024

Latics’ play-off hopes were ended following a 2-2 draw against FC Halifax Town.

Oldham took the lead through Dan Garnder’s thunderous volley, just for Rob Harker to capitalise on a mistake in first-half stoppage time, equalising from close range.

Having been awarded a penalty early in the second 45, Gardner stepped up and dispatched it well, giving himself and Latics their second of the game.

Halifax pulled level once more through substitute George, his tight-angled finish was enough to rescue a point for the hosts, despite large Latics pressure in the final 20 minutes.

Despite both sides getting a goal, the first half was one of few chances.

The first major opportunity was the opener.

Tom Conlon’s corner fell invitingly to Garnder, who was just sitting on the edge of the area.

He hit it well, with power and precision, and despite frantic attempts from the Halifax defence to block it, they couldn’t, as it flew into the net.

Halifax came into the game towards the end of the half, first causing a scramble in the box and then having a goal chalked off for offside, but were soon rewarded for their efforts with a leveller.

Florent Hoti’s long-range strike was spilled by Mat Hudson in between the sticks, unfortunately falling into the path of Harker, who made easy work of tapping home from a handful of yards out.

A disappointing goal to concede for Latics.

It would have been easy for Oldham to go in at the break with their heads down, leading to a lacklustre performance in the second half, but that wasn’t the case.

Having enjoyed a good start to the half, Joe Garner was pulled down inside the area, allowing the referee to point to the spot.

Despite the calls from some to bring on James Norwood, who was midway through his warm up, it was Garnder who stepped up for the penalty.

Against one of his former sides, in another former side’s stadium, he confidently converted the spot kick.

Norwood soon entered play in place of Garner for the last 20 minutes, as Mellon looked to switch up the attack.

Oldham couldn’t make their lead count though, as George’s side-footed shot proved too difficult for Hudson to keep out, sending Latics back to square one.

Returnee Devarn Green made way for Hallam Hope, as Oldham chased a winner.

Athletic had the ball in the final third for large spells of the final periods, and had a lot of the possesion, but just could not find an opening through the resilient Town defence.

Nathan Sheron replaced Gardner amongst the six minutes of stoppage time, which ended without a goal.

Oldham: Hudson, Hogan, Hobson, Green (Hope, 74’), Raglan, McGahey, Gardner (Sheron, 87’), Sutton, Garner (Norwood, 69’), Dallas, Conlon.

Subs not used: Norman, Lundstram.

Halifax: Johnson, Golden, Stott, Senior, Evans, Hunter, Jenkins (Thompson-Sommers, 67’), Hoti (Summerfield, 83’), Harker, Oluwabori, Cosgrave (George, 70’).

Subs not used: Cooke, Arthur.

Referee: Stuart Morland

Attendance: 1,580

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account