Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Second-half report

5 January 2013

Latics cause cup upset


Latics pulled off a memorable giantkilling act with a 3-2 victory at Nottingham Forest in the third round of the FA Cup with Budweiser.  Paul Dickov's side, 1-0 down at the break, staged an incredible second-half fightback as they cut down npower Championship club Forest with three goals in a devastating seven-minute spell.

  Robbie Simpson (pictured), back after completing a three-match ban, scored twice in quick succession and this was followed by Jose Baxter's 11th goal of the campaign for Latics.


There was a subtle tactical change for the second half as Simpson switched from the centre to left midfield as Youssouf M'Changama moved inside alongside Dean Furman.


Latics made a bright start to the second period as Jose Baxter fired over after a jinking run into the box while M'Changama's shot was blocked en route to goal.  And Latics were rewarded when they drew level in the 54th minute.

  Simpson won the ball in midfield and broke forward before firing a 25-yard drive low to the right of keeper Lee Camp.

  And there was further joy when Simpson struck again four minutes later to put Latics ahead.

  Simpson ghosted in at the far post to meet Dean Furman's cross and his header looped over Camp.

  It could conceivably have been a five minute hat trick for Simpson as he burst through the Forest defence and only see his shot blocked by the legs of Camp.

  And it got even better for Latics when they added a third goal just after the hour mark.

  Forest were reduced to 10 men when Danny Collins was sent off for hauling back Matt Smith who burst through on goal and, as last man, had to go as referee Roger East produced a red card.

  The hosts were further punished from the free kick as Baxter fired home an unstoppable free kick from the edge of the box.

  Forest immediately brought on top scorer Billy Sharp as midfield man Radoslaw Majewski was withdrawn.

  Latics made their first change in the 81st minute when Simpson was replaced by Daniel Taylor.

  There would have been a fourth goal but for a great save from Camp to turn a long-range shot from M'Changama round the post for a corner. 

  Simon Cox forced a diving save from Bouzanis as Forest pressed for a foothold back into the match.

  Latics made their second change three minutes into stoppage time when Kirk Millar came on for Lee Croft.

  Full-time: Nottingham Forest 2, Latics 3.

There were amazing scenes at the final whistle as Latics' players and staff celebrated in front of their 2,841 following.

It was too little, too late from the home side as the final whistle went as Latics kicked off.

Forest pulled a goal back into the fifth minute of stoppage time when Sharp hooked in a shot over the head of Camp.



Advertisement block